Auditing calibration - Different categories in the equipment status

R

Rosana

Hi,
I am auditing calibration and I found different categories in the status for the equipment.
Status 1 Calibrated
Status 2 Needs repair
Status 3 Not calibrated
Status 4 On hold
Status 5 Out of service
Status 6 Reference only
Status 7 Unknown

Are you in agreement with these?

Rosana :)

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Those categories are fairly common, except maybe #7.

However, # 2, 3, 4, and 5 mean the gage shouldn't be in use. And #6 is very limited.

So, it essentially boils down to 2 classes - in calibration or out. But, it is permissable to assign the other categories if you can control them.

T

tomvehoski

I don't know that I agree with using those categories, but I don't see an audit nonconformance if that is the sytem they use. I would question that a piece of equipment that is in need of repair (2) is also not calibrated (3), out of service (5) (at least it should be) and possibly on hold (4) - so it can be a confusing system. My thoughts would be more along the lines of.

Calibrated
Needs Calibration
Cal Not Required/Reference
Out of Service - Needs Repair
Out of Service - Lost or Destroyed
Out of Service - In storage

If I was auditing I would note a couple gages that were listed as not calibrated or needing repair and physically see where they are. If they are being used for inspection, you have an issue. If they are labeled accordingly and not in use, all is well.

A

Aaron Lupo

Rosana said:
Hi,
I am auditing calibration and I found different categories in the status for the equipment.
Status 1 Calibrated
Status 2 Needs repair
Status 3 Not calibrated
Status 4 On hold
Status 5 Out of service
Status 6 Reference only
Status 7 Unknown

What does your procedure state? As long as items#2, 4, 5 and 7 are not on the floor for use why not.

R

Rosana

We don't have a procedure.

The person who is in charge of calibration is new so he got the records from the last employee that was in charge of calibration.

I didn't audit the floor yet. I will go and look for some gages that are labeled with a status of "not calibrated" or "out of service" or "need repair".

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
tomvehoski said:
I don't know that I agree with using those categories, but I don't see an audit nonconformance if that is the sytem they use. I would question that a piece of equipment that is in need of repair (2) is also not calibrated (3), out of service (5) (at least it should be) and possibly on hold (4) - so it can be a confusing system. My thoughts would be more along the lines of.

Calibrated
Needs Calibration
Cal Not Required/Reference
Out of Service - Needs Repair
Out of Service - Lost or Destroyed
Out of Service - In storage

If I was auditing I would note a couple gages that were listed as not calibrated or needing repair and physically see where they are. If they are being used for inspection, you have an issue. If they are labeled accordingly and not in use, all is well.

I think this list is a little more clear and useful.

B

bmccabe - 2006

Rosana said:
Hi,
Status 1 Calibrated
Status 2 Needs repair
Status 3 Not calibrated
Status 4 On hold
Status 5 Out of service
Status 6 Reference only
Status 7 Unknown

I might add, you really only need cat 1 and 5. ...More is just slowing down the metrology personnel.

J

jane_ackerman - 2010

Rosana,
Sounds like your software is similar to mine, where you can customize your status indicators.
Just sharing information here.... I use the following:

Active = should be found in use, or on the spare gage shelf
Inactive = obsolete but could be brought back into use if needed
Out for Repair = not in use. Could be currently outsourced or labeled with something such as "Defective, Do Not Use" and in a locked location to prevent accidental use.
Out for Calibration = not in use. Could be currently outsourced or labeled with something similar to "Do Not Use Until Tested and Calibrated" and in a locked location to prevent accidental use.
For Reference Only = things such as transfer gages or gages that do not impact product quality but still need to be identified in the system.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
The reality is that what you name the catagories and how many there are is not relevant in audit terms.....what is relevant is that they are appropriate for your organization and are actually useful and consistently used. Oh, and documented in your procedure or QM of course.

Hope this helps.

Hershal

Top Bottom