Industrial Standard on Accelerated Ageing test for plastic carrier tape

Z

zuproc

Hi Folks,

Firs of all, appreciate this website its cool and very usefull. Im just new here and just recently subscribed this month.

Im working i a manufacturing company which doing carrier tape. The material is made from Tri-laminated Polycarbonate and also in Polystyrene.

I need some help on Accelerated Ageing Test procedure. Or is there any standard to be follow on performing this on plastic material.

thanks and regards to all
Zup :agree:

Z

zuproc

Accelerated Ageing Test Standard Method and Procedures

Hi Folks,

Is there anybody here can share me about Accelerated Ageing Test on plastic material? Specifically IC plastic carrier tape made of trilaminated Polycarbonate or Polystyrene material.

Is there any standard method and procedure that can be use?

Hope somebody can give some thoughts.

Thanks,
Zup:agree:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: Industries Standard on Accelerated Ageing test for plastic carrier tape

Does anyone have any experience in Accelerated Ageing Test of plastic materials?

M

Murphys Law

Re: Accelerated Ageing Test Standard Method and Procedures

Hi Folks,

Is there anybody here can share me about Accelerated Ageing Test on plastic material? Specifically IC plastic carrier tape made of trilaminated Polycarbonate or Polystyrene material.

Is there any standard method and procedure that can be use?

Hope somebody can give some thoughts.

Thanks,
Zup:agree:

There is no semiconductor standard that I know of that specifically targets this but looking at most IC datasheets that I know of, says that the devices can be stored betweeen -55C and 150C. To me, that implies their housing also.

From my experience, degraded peel strength performance is what you can expect from storage. To see if it is equivalent standard, I would do t=0 peel strength on current and planned material set, Do a HTSL then and do peel strength tests again after predetermined material. I'm being ambiguos on duration on that test as I don't know what would represent realistic storage life conditions. Your company may want to put out an apps note on what you recommend for storage conditions just in case some idiot (eg/ automotive) wants to store it in those worst case conditions.

IMO, the worst case conditions will be intransit only not in the warehouse itself.

Btw: You may also want to throw into that mix a DOE, which looks at sealing conditions on the T&R machine. What worked on one material set, may not work with the other.

ML.

M

MIREGMGR

Zuproc, is the above a correct assumption about your application?

If not, you may want to describe it to us, with details about the environment and worst-case customer expectations.

Z

zuproc

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the reply. I already performed DOE and some statiscal testing regarding Peel force behavior. What i realy want to know is the procedure or the computation on accelerated ageing test. For example; the 7days accelerated ageing test is equavalent of 5years normal ageing test. Some of our competitors performed this kind of ageing test to save time.
My question is, are those data are reliable?
How do they arrived to that shortcut procedure?
Can somebody share me the formulas and computation for this or are there any standard formula or computation to use.

Our material specs is 23deg C +/-17deg C and some of our customer required us to subject to ageing test to 40-60deg C 25%RH for 5 yrs.
So i want to know how can i make this period shorter or the standard accelerated ageing test proceudre if there's any.

Thanks,
Zup

harry

Trusted Information Resource

I am not an expert in this field but had seen people adapting established methods or standards for testing in situations where they could not find an established method for testing the material they have.

I am not sure if you could do the same using this: ASTM D3012 Standard Test Method

ASTM D3012 Standard Test Method

D3012-07 Standard Test Method for Thermal-Oxidative Stability of Polypropylene Using a Specimen Rotator Within an Oven

1.1 This test method provides a means for estimating the resistance of polypropylene, in molded form, to accelerated aging by heat in the presence of air using a forced draft oven.
1.2 The stability determined by this test method is not directly related to the suitability of the material for use when different environmental conditions prevail and shall not be used to predict performance.
Note 1
The specified thermal levels in this test method are considered sufficiently severe to cause failure of commercial grades of heat-stable polypropylene within a reasonable period of time. If desired, lower temperatures can be applied to estimate the performance of polypropylene with lower heat stabilities.
1.3 The values stated in SI units are to be regarded as the standard. The values in brackets are for information only.
This standard does not purport to address all of the safety concerns, if any, associated with its use. It is the responsibility of the user of this standard to establish appropriate safety and health practices and determine the applicability of regulatory limitations prior to use.
Note 2
This test method and ISO 4577-1983 are technically similar but different in preparation of test specimens, thickness of test specimen, measurement of the number of air flow changes in the ovens, and the number of air changes per hour required.
1.4 The purpose of this appendix is to provide a secondary method for determining the number of air exchanges that occur within the forced draft oven used for measurement of thermal oxidative stability.

M

Murphys Law

Zuproc - it is standard in semiconductor world to do reliability testing @ Higher temps, moisture pressure or voltages. I've not seen tests such as autoclave, HTSL applied back to plastic housing.

Are you being asked to prove out a shelf life condition before tape is used (Is it good to use after being stored for 5 years) or are you asking for reliability of the sealed joint once IC is put on a tape?

What do you think accelerators will be? Once you have that, you can run a simple DOE at different conditions. Assuming 2 conditions - temp and mositure - You should test after 4 different reliability conditions to determine an acceleration factor. Once you know this, you can derate.

Why don't you poll you IC customers to find out if they have such a recommended test?

Z

zuproc

Hi Folks,

I think there's no really standard about ageing test for this kind of material. Thank you very much for all the inputs appreciated it a lot!

One more thing, i just wanna share what our material science lab. does on accelerated ageing test.

On normal ageing test for our products, condition are 50deg C, at 25% RH for 5yrs. and the main objective here is to see the response of the bond strenght between carrier tape and cover tape thru Peel Back Force Testing (PBFT).
For 5 yrs!

Now, to save time,some of our customers suggest to reduce the no. of yrs. into "6months" but increase the condition to 60deg C at 90%RH.

Im just wondering how do they derive to this equation? is there any basis that this convertion will achieve the same result as in normal ageing test?
Any documents that i can rely on this?

Thanks
Zuproc

Top Bottom