Outsource of Internal Quality Audits and Incentive for Auditor

M

mjflkitty

Hi!

I would like to ask the following question:
a. Is it alright to outsource Internal Quality Audit?
Meaning we would just be contacting them during Audit season
They are not necessarily internal employees
Is there such a thing like that that you ask somebody (not ur employee) to conduct internal audit
They would most probably have auditing skills because they specialized in that matter

b. another problem why we come up with that idea was nobody wants to be an auditor and and because of this we thought of giving incentives
but the problem is they are alreay tired of money incentive and item incentive
can you suggest other form of incentive

thank you for helping

Last edited by a moderator:

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
The internal of internal audit is not the person but rather the reason and manner of the audit.
In a lot of ways outside people have an advantage, especially in a small company.
Things are new to them, they do not have relationships with the people etc.
If you use out side people check that they are qualified and if you can get recomendations from others.

Incentives to be an auditor can be a difficult thing as the auditor can be seen as an unwanted person to the auditors.
The training of people to be auditors, not necessarily management will give them an insight to the system.
Try publicity of their achievement being trained, invitation to management meetings, a meal with the manger etc.

Hullo Kitty,

mjflkitty said:
Is it alright to outsource Internal Quality Audit?
Yes. I suggest a look at the following threads:

Outsourcing ISO 9000 Internal Audits
Outsourcing Internal Audits
Outsourcing Processes
Outsourcing Internal Audits

mjflkitty said:
can you suggest other form of incentive?
Well, they have to feel that auditing is worthwhile (-What's in it for me?) Some suggested reading again:

HOW do you find your internal auditors?
WHERE do you find your internal auditors?
Any IA success stories? Internal audits that have resulted in great improvements?
Internal Audit Success and Failure Factors Discussion

/Claes

A

AllanJ

mjflkitty said:
Hi!

I would like to ask the following question:
a. Is it alright to outsource Internal Quality Audit?
Meaning we would just be contacting them during Audit season
They are not necessarily internal employees
Is there such a thing like that that you ask somebody (not ur employee) to conduct internal audit
They would most probably have auditing skills because they specialized in that matter

b. another problem why we come up with that idea was nobody wants to be an auditor and and because of this we thought of giving incentives
but the problem is they are alreay tired of money incentive and item incentive
can you suggest other form of incentive

thank you for helping
Answers: Of course it is alright to outsource your internal audit. Even registrars are outsourced suppliers of a "service".

And, of the best incentives is the "buzz" one gets when an audit genuinely delivers improvements, the auditees feel they have been helped, have a smile on their faces and are energized to do things better.

I have looked at the threads nobly suggested by Claes and add to the points made there, as follows:
1. Before you outsource, consider carefully what service you want. If it is a simple service with a simple report placed on file so that you can show your registrar an internal audit has been done, then that is not a serious effort and your management ought to be clear about what it gets for its money.

2. If you want someone who can help you to improve your processes, look for someone with experience. So-called qualifications, such as those of RAB, are of little importance, and are not necessary.

3. Remember, whoever you engage for this service will need time to become familiar with your orgaization, systems, processes, technology, strategy, market and so forth. I have experienced potential clients expecting an audit to be done in a day, including all preparation, performance, reporting and so forth. For reasons I have long explained elsewhere, I will turn down such assignments as I know they are futile, deliver little or no added-value for the client - though there is a host of consultants who will not agree and will be willing to take your money. So, if you engage a professional, experienced auditor, do so on the basis you want to build a "partnership". The first time the auditor is with you, he/she will take more time to prepare than on subsequent occasions, as he/she becomes familiar with your systems, processes, people etc.

4. You get what you pay for. But, as I recently advised one inquirer, if you really feel your operation is so efficient and cost-effective that you do not think there are savings to be obtained, greater than the audit fee, you are a truly remarkable company.

G

Greg B

Kitty,

I have a network of QA people from other companies that I often use and they use me (much like this Forum). Go out and make yourself known to other QA people. You will be surprised at how welcome they will make you feel (again, much like the cove). I have networked all of the local and international companies within my region and we often have meetings to mull over problems or new ideas. We also, often perform Internal Audits on each others companies. It is a good way to learn new things, improve your auditing skills and in turn have someone that knows little about your processes cast an impartial eye over things. It also saves you money and time by not using your own employees.

I have internal auditors also and the incentive we give them is 'Training'. All of our IAs have a 'Certifcate IV in Workplace Assessment and Training', A 'Certificate IV in Front Line Management', Internal Auditors Course and must graded (completed the relevant skills set) for Supervisor position.

Note: Certificate IV is a tertiary level of education underneath University. They are CERT II, CERT III, CERT IV and Diploma then University.

M

mjflkitty

Criteria for giving Internal Quality Auditor Incentive

Hi!

Thanks for the reply everyone!

I would like to ask what would be a possible criteria for giving incentive for auditor

I was thinking giving them a default incentive,

we have about 12 auditors

meaning they are already have the incentive and the incentive will be removed once the certifiying body found a nonconfomity on the process they audited. Meaning those auditor whose process was not audited during the surveillance is lucky.

what do you think? would that be fair? If not please do suggest one. Thanks!

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
mjflkitty said:
...meaning they are already have the incentive and the incentive will be removed once the certifiying body found a nonconfomity on the process they audited. Meaning those auditor whose process was not audited during the surveillance is lucky...

Hi kitty -

Do you mean that you will give your internal auditors an incentive - something like a wage premium - and if the registrar auditor found a nonconformance in their last audit assignment area, then they would lose the extra pay?

I'm not in favor of negative reinforcement in general. Besides that, an auditor is simply sampling; anyone could come along behind and find something the previous auditor didn't see. (Especially an experienced registrar auditor - you are dealing with newbies.) That does not mean the previous auditor was remiss or unobservant, it means he was looking at something else that time.

I would think that "removing their incentive" would not be conducive to building confidence in your brand new auditors. JMO.

Q

qualitytrec

Cari,
I agree and here is my thoughts for what they are worth. If you wish to give the internal auditors incentive give them incentive for finding areas that need improvement and drive continuous improvement. I believe that is the biggest benefit of an audit. Besides it is better by far for an internal auditor to find an issue or potential issue than for the registrar imo.

Mark

Top Bottom