Seeking Views and Ideas on Procedure related to Project Implementation

A

alex_pmt25

Dear Cove Friends

We are a medium sized company engaged in oil and gas activities...Other than oil and gas activities, we are also into enterprise solutions business which we consider as a separate project.

I have written a procedure for project implementation.

What I want...is my Cove friends view and ideas to make it more systematic.

Once finalized, we shall release it and shall ensure that all our project verticals implements and works according to the documented system.

Please suggest new ideas which i can add in my documented system.

Alex

Attachments

• 12 Project implementation_03.pdf
    96.8 KB · Views: 746
  • 12_1 Project_Implementation_Records_Matrix _Rev-1.pdf
    45.4 KB · Views: 787

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Dear Cove Friends

We are a medium sized company engaged in oil and gas activities...Other than oil and gas activities, we are also into enterprise solutions business which we consider as a separate project.

I have written a procedure for project implementation.

What I want...is my Cove friends view and ideas to make it more systematic.

Once finalized, we shall release it and shall ensure that all our project verticals implements and works according to the documented system.

Please suggest new ideas which i can add in my documented system.

Alex

Suggestions for Alex?

Thank you!!

Stijloor.

J

JaneB

Alex,

I've read it and looked at the matrix. I quite like the records matrix - a lot of information packed in a clear format. I was a bit less happy about the procedure. Good job in going for consistency - definitely the way to go. But while the content (broadly speaking) seemed pretty good, I did find it rather wordy and repetitive, and thus slow to read.

I think there's some inherent tension in writing a 'procedure' for an overall project as though it all happened fairly rapidly & consecutively, when a project is an extended thing which takes place (usually) over an extended period of time and involves (often) many, many different activities and resources, all of which the PM is responsible for. If I were a PM reading this procedure, I'd have to read it a number of times at many different points in the project to find out what had to be done when... and I suspect they may find that a difficult task/forget etc. And anything that makes life more difficult for a PM in my experience is likely to be resisted.
Why not make it even clearer and even easier for them?

My suggestions are:

1. Consider using a flowchart or matrix-type approach instead?
2. With 1 (above) or separately, make it more 'quick reference' either by using subheadings and/or break it up for the phases of the typical project (eg, sales/before, kickstart, delivery, end/handover?) and just listing the tasks & required outputs in the phases. eg, 'Here's what you do in the Sales phase', 'in the Planning Phase' etc.
3. Strongly recommend you consider shortening the language and getting rid of a lot of the wordiness and repetition. For example, instead of saying this:

Subsequent to the mobilization of the above desired resources as applicable for the project, the project delivery process continues as per plan.
It would be much shorter and clearer to simply say:
"Deliver the project per plan".

4. Finally, I have a strong preference for procedures that are not written in the passive tense. ie, procedures written in active voice, which say 'Do that' or if you must, 'The PM does X'. But not 'this shall be done'.

At times you do use active, eg:

the PM Initiates the contact with the Client and conducts project kick-off meeting.

Good. Nice & clear - anyone can follow that.

But when you write
Collection of drawings, documents and other related data from the client shall be made
It's not clear. And I wonder... who is actually doing what? (Plus passive voice makes for more words!)

Last edited by a moderator:
A

alex_pmt25

Jane........Thank you very much for the value filled suggestions.

Well, as suggested, I shall try to devise some sort of a matrix or flowchart to explain our project implementation procedure.

Regards

Alex

Top Bottom