Are you allowed to mow your lawn on Sunday?

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
A guy in my town thinks it should be banned.

Some excerpts from his petition:

A few words to try to explain the importance of the stopping of all construction work residential and commercial including lawn mowing and yard work on Sunday...Sunday would be a day we could reflect our thoughts on the soldiers who risk their lives every minute for our freedom and way of life.

Our nation is burdened with war. The heartland is being torn up by tornadoes. The West and South are burning and flooding at the same time. Let us as a community and as people have the courage to stand up and do the proper thing which will restore dignity, repsect, and peace into our town of Butler on Sunday.

This doesn't have a chance in h3ll of passing but what is he thinking?
Apparently he doesn't realize he lives in a town of commuters that need both days of the weekend to complete do-it-yourself jobs around the house.

I suppose there's one in every town.

D

Duke Okes

Although I don't believe it should be a law I can certainly sympathize with the individual. Everywhere we go we're surrounded by noise caused by individuals who have no concept of the greater good (people yelling into cell phones, booming car stereos with open windows, leaf blowers). Even in airports it's now difficult to find a place to sit where some TV isn't blaring with some idiot announcer trying to scare people about car accidents, medical problems, wars, moron heads of state, etc.

Declaring at least one day to be one of peace and quiet could actually improve the world significantly. People might even take time to think!

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
I applaud this individual's way of thinking, but, as you said Discordian, in this day and age of commuters and families with multiple jobs, soccer practice, ballet lessons, etc., the only time most of us have to do work around the house is on the weekend.

Is this individual retired out of curiousity?

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
I applaud this individual's way of thinking, but, as you said Discordian, in this day and age of commuters and families with multiple jobs, soccer practice, ballet lessons, etc., the only time most of us have to do work around the house is on the weekend.

Is this individual retired out of curiousity?

I dunno. I have a load of questions I'd like to ask him.
like:
1) does he work?
2) If so, does he commute?
3) Does he have children? How old?
4) Does he use a lawn service?
5) I simply can't mow my lawn after work with a baby and 4 year old. If I usually mow my lawn on Saturday, what if it rains? Will I have to wait another week?

I'd rather deal with a neighbor mowin the lawn for a 1/2 hour on Sunday than at 8:00 on a weeknight when we're trying to put the baby to sleep.

Most properties in this town are only about 1/4 acre. Mowing doesn't take that long.

I've lived in towns of this size and character my whole life and BOTH Saturday and Sunday have always been work around the house days.

Are you allowed to mow your lawn on Sunday?
Certainly... I appreciate a bit of peace and quiet as much as anyone, and I dont like to have to use hearing protection when I work in the garden. Consequently, I use a contraption similar to the one in the enclosed picture. Nobody complains about any noice, and I get a bit of excercise. There is no trouble getting it started either... ;)

Now: Some people have socking great gardens and have to use motorized equipment, but most of us don't really need powered tools for everything we do...

/Claes

Attachments

• mower.jpg
    mower.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 215

Tim Folkerts

Trusted Information Resource
I grew up in a small (6000 people) midwestern town where there was an unwritten rule against mowing on Sundays. In the 70's there was one (disreputable ;)) convenience store open on Sundays, but none of the major grocery stores an only a couple gas stations and restaurants. On Sunday mornings you couldn't get a parking ticket anywhere near a church. (It got so bad they had to announce in church that people shouldn't park in areas that blocked-in the ambulance garage :mg:- but I still don't think anyone got a ticket). No one would ever have considered scheduling kids sports on a Sunday afternoon, let alone Sunday morning. Until perhaps a decade ago, even Walmart wasn't open on Sundays, and when they did, leaders from one of the more conservative churches actually staked out the parking lot looking for members who would dare shop on a Sunday.

That has pretty much all passed by now, and it may have been a little extreme, but I can sympathize with people who wish for a simpler time when there wasn't so much pressure to be working every day of the week.

Tim F

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Consequently, I use a contraption similar to the one in the enclosed picture. Nobody complains about any noice, and I get a bit of excercise. There is no trouble getting it started either...

I use the same kind of push mower, Claes, although to save money on fertilizer, I've contemplated buying a goat (input = grass and output = fertilizer). However, city bylaws refrain me from acquiring such an environmentally friendly option. ;)

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
I use the same kind of push mower, Claes, although to save money on fertilizer, I've contemplated buying a goat (input = grass and output = fertilizer). However, city bylaws refrain me from acquiring such an environmentally friendly option. ;)

I have an electric powered mower (by extension cord, not battery) and it is amazingly quiet.

C

Craig H.

I'd be glad to refrain from mowing my lawn on Sunday. So, which day is this guy coming to my house to mow during the week? If he has any conviction behind his ideas, that is what he would do. Why, just think of all that contemplation time he would have while pushing away on my lawn.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
I'd be glad to refrain from mowing my lawn on Sunday. So, which day is this guy coming to my house to mow during the week? If he has any conviction behind his ideas, that is what he would do. Why, just think of all that contemplation time he would have while pushing away on my lawn.

Some speculation among my neighbors is that he owns a lawn service.
Doubtful, but wouldn't that be interesting?

Top Bottom