Organization Structure - Small Company, alotta business

J

JayJay

Hi everyone,

Background on me: I come from a medium-sized med device manufacturer which was ISO 9000 & 13485 certified, CE marked, and FDA QSR compliant with more than 50 employees. <--- Hell on me

Background on current company: I am now at a very small company (only 6 people) which is almost fully automated for our internal processes - we outsource all of our manufacturing and have an awesome design team - ALL 6 OF US! Anyway, we all participate everywhere in the company, as most 6 person companies do... We don't plan to grow much more (maybe an additional 2-3 positions over the next 3 years) - and we are considering 13485 certification over the next couple of years. <--Love it

Problem / Question: I am trying to decide for FDA QSR S820.20 (mgmt responsibility) if a simple organization chart with titles is sufficient for structure, authority, responsibility, etc. Seeing as how we only have 6 people: 1 president, 3 VPs, and 2 managers, our responsibilities fluctuate and shift depending on whose available. What I am used to doing is :

1. defining a need for a position and its responsibilities
2. finding someone to fill that position
3. associating 1&2 on an org chart

(What we're doing is more like having each person fill 7 or 8 positions.)

What I am afraid of though (I am dealing with FDA afterall) is that if I do 1-3, we will get dinged on something that was filled under someone else's responsibilities and/or authority - overkill

I am also afraid that if I leave it up to a simple org chart that it won't "include provisions for responsibility, authority, and resources". - deficient

Any recommendations on how to find a happy medium?

Any links on the site I missed?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
JayJay

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: Small Company, alotta business - Org Structure

Hi everyone,

Background on me: I come from a medium-sized med device manufacturer which was ISO 9000 & 13485 certified, CE marked, and FDA QSR compliant with more than 50 employees. <--- Hell on me

Background on current company: I am now at a very small company (only 6 people) which is almost fully automated for our internal processes - we outsource all of our manufacturing and have an awesome design team - ALL 6 OF US! Anyway, we all participate everywhere in the company, as most 6 person companies do... We don't plan to grow much more (maybe an additional 2-3 positions over the next 3 years) - and we are considering 13485 certification over the next couple of years. <--Love it

Problem / Question: I am trying to decide for FDA QSR S820.20 (mgmt responsibility) if a simple organization chart with titles is sufficient for structure, authority, responsibility, etc. Seeing as how we only have 6 people: 1 president, 3 VPs, and 2 managers, our responsibilities fluctuate and shift depending on whose available. What I am used to doing is :

1. defining a need for a position and its responsibilities
2. finding someone to fill that position
3. associating 1&2 on an org chart

(What we're doing is more like having each person fill 7 or 8 positions.)

What I am afraid of though (I am dealing with FDA afterall) is that if I do 1-3, we will get dinged on something that was filled under someone else's responsibilities and/or authority - overkill

I am also afraid that if I leave it up to a simple org chart that it won't "include provisions for responsibility, authority, and resources". - deficient

Any recommendations on how to find a happy medium?

Any links on the site I missed?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
JayJay

Most 3rd party auditors working the ISO 13485 beat are intelligent individuals who can sense the truth and smell BS a mile away.

If you want to sell your products in many foreign lands, you WILL need the certificate of registration from an approved registrar (ALWAYS CHECK FIRST!)

Why not simply tell the truth? In a 6 person firm, the owner or CEO has the final say on everything and almost ALL functions are consensus and collaborative because the communication is usually as simple as leaning over to the next desk. Because of the informality, though, you have to make special provision to note (record) WHO makes the decision each time, since it may be a different person or combination each time one is made. Be sure you have a written Procedure which you actually follow (about decision-making and recording same.)

You will be pleasantly surprised how simple the truth can be - no lies to remember! So make a big deal about the Process, but not about individuals or titles since they can be so fluid for each instance.

J

JayJay

Most 3rd party auditors working the ISO 13485 beat are intelligent individuals who can sense the truth and smell BS a mile away.

haha - the BS is exactly what I'm trying to avoid! Although, I should clarify - we're not going for a 13485 cert yet, but maybe later. At this point, I'm just trying to bring us into compliance with FDA.

Here's what I've got so far on the org chart:

- President
- VP Operations
- VP Engineering / Prod Dev
- QS Manager
- VP Sales / Marketing
- Office Manager / Accounting
Everyone reports directly to the president (except me - QS Mgr, I report to VP Eng) and that's how its documented on the org chart, only with a flow chart.

Is there an easy way to show that everyone has a "cumulative responsibility?" and that anything that happens gets the approval of the president? (Or have I already implied that based on the chart?)

Basically, the way it works now is everyone develops the actions necessary to perform their jobs but before anything is implemented or changed, it gets approval from the pres.

I don't want to lock us into something that starts "the tail wagging the dog", but I also don't want to mis-represent how we operate, either.

Am I making any sense? or am I being wagged? ;)

J

JayJay

Because of the informality, though, you have to make special provision to note (record) WHO makes the decision each time, since it may be a different person or combination each time one is made. Be sure you have a written Procedure which you actually follow (about decision-making and recording same.)

Any suggestions as to the easiest way to do this? for instance - on a design change, what we already do is hold a design review meeting, record who was there, the input, the output, and then the proposed actions, and then the:

- president
- vp eng / prod dev
- vp ops
- QS mgr

ALL sign and approve the design change, and the records go in the DHF for whatever the device was. That procedure (for who approves) is in our design / development planning procedure.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Agree with Wes.

Just report the Organization Chart / Roles and Responsibilities and other activities as its currently happening. I think the situation that you explained would be shared by many design organizations too.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource

Any suggestions as to the easiest way to do this? for instance - on a design change, what we already do is hold a design review meeting, record who was there, the input, the output, and then the proposed actions, and then the:

- president
- vp eng / prod dev
- vp ops
- QS mgr

ALL sign and approve the design change, and the records go in the DHF for whatever the device was. That procedure (for who approves) is in our design / development planning procedure.

This is a good way to identify the reporting structure.

The truth is always the best way to go.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

FWIW:
Even (or maybe especially) in small organizations, the emphasis is on quick decisions and changes. Thus, organizations have "empowerment" of "committees" to act in the absence of a top officer. Thus, it is important to document that (if it is a factor in the organization.)

R

Roland Cooke

I agree with the rest of the gang. :)

I would add to that the need to have a Management Review process that makes sense for your business, not for example a (nominally) annual meeting.

You will likely find that your daily get-togethers encompass design reviews, management reviews, resource management and so on.

As long as you give yourself flexible procedures, and back it up with sensible records, you should be fine.

Good luck!
(P.S. You may want to consider whether you will also be selling to Canada, as that will likely require you to hold ISO13485 under CMDCAS).

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JayJay

Wes, Ajit, Coury, and Roland -

Thank you so much for you valued input. From all of your responses, I finally have some peace of mind as to how we are handling things.

I apologize for not posting a response sooner, but was out of town without the internet!

Again, thanks for the quick replies and input - it is very much appreciated!

JayJay

Top Bottom