Employee Morale Boosters - Low cost, quick, and easy ideas to boost morale

L

little__cee

I'm looking for some low cost, quick, and easy ideas to boost morale.

Examples would be things like providing Gatorade to shop employees on hot days, serving ice cream sandwiches, root beer floats, etc.

Suggestions do not have to be food/drink oriented - those are just the first things that came to my mind (almost lunch time!)

What works in YOUR company???

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Morale boosters

Examples would be things like providing Gatorade to shop employees on hot days, serving ice cream sandwiches, root beer floats, etc.

Suggestions do not have to be food/drink oriented - those are just the first things that came to my mind (almost lunch time!)

Hello little_cee,

At one of my Client companies, and fairly regularly, the CEO works side-by-side on the assembly line with the production workers. He takes breaks and eats lunch with these good people. At the same time, he chats and wants to know what's going on. What a positive message, what a morale booster.

Stijloor.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

If morale is a problem in your company, giving people root beer floats probably isn't going to help much after the treats have been consumed, I'm afraid.

Randy

Super Moderator

Whe employee's stop getting beat upon by management morale generally goes up.

When effort is acknowledged, morale goes up.

When the real "gung ho" spirit exists, morale goes up. (Gung Ho = all together)

When you, not me exists, morale goes up.

When leaders actually are capable of leading and do so, morale goes up.

When individual and group contribution can actually be visualized, morale goes up.

When good deeds aren't punished, morale goes up.

When messengers aren't killed, morale goes up.

When truth and honesty become 1st, morale goes up.

When lack of success becomes opportunity, morale goes up.

When failure is eliminated from the vocabulary, morale goes up.

I shall stop because my morale is going down..............

Last edited:

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource

IMHO, what works the best is a "Thank You" from the employee's immediate supervisor. And it costs "ZERO".

This was a suggestion from one of my employees, and I use this all the time.

C

curryassassin

I agree, but the 'thank-you' has to be in person, be sincere (it is quite difficult to do) and has to be put into context:

'thank-you very much for your efforts this week. Your hard work has helped the company meet that urgent order in full, on time'.

I also like an effective appraisal system and, if you want it, career development program. Also lots of regular, constructive feedback.

And do things together outside of work. We just had our second staff away day. Work was closed for the day. We went to a place in the country where we gave some short talks, learnt more about first aid, then did clay pigeon shooting followed by 4X4 driving, then to a pub to learn how to play 'Aunt Sally' - a very popular pub game here in Oxfordshire where you throw sticks to knock another stick over - and a free meal. I love my boss!!!

Someone just told me of the latest survey that employees want at work:

• take their full one hour lunch break away from their desk- not to work through
  • go do something together outside work
  • and bring back the tea lady !!!

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Praise in public, discipline in private. The best motivator (once the basic necessities of life are met) is to make people feel that they are a valuable and worthy individual and a valuable and worthy member of the team.

R

RosieA

I take my department out to lunch whenever someone has a birthday. It's on me, not the company. We also throw surprize pizza lunches, especially when the heat is on and everyone is stressed.

Another neat idea is to "Catch People Doing it Right". It's tangible evidence that you did something well, and it last longer than words or food. (see attachment) I've seen people paper the walls of their office space with these.

Attachments

• Caught.doc
    21 KB · Views: 463

Randy

Super Moderator
I take my department out to lunch whenever someone has a birthday. It's on me, not the company. We also throw surprize pizza lunches, especially when the heat is on and everyone is stressed.

Another neat idea is to "Catch People Doing it Right". It's tangible evidence that you did something well, and it last longer than words or food. (see attachment) I've seen people paper the walls of their office space with these.

Sounds like you've read "The One Minute Manager" and "Putting The One Minute Manager To Work", both old but still very relevant. I make gifts of them to people.

R

RosieA

Yup, but I may need to read them both again, as it's been at least 15 years!

Top Bottom