What is meant by a Characteristic Classification within GR&R?

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
We have a standard GR&R sheet that we are supposed to be using for all our weight scales, verniers, micrometers, etc. It has the usual calculations suitable for this (apparently, someone more knowledgable than I set it up). It has data entry fields (excel based, did I say?) and mostly straight forward like characteristic such as weight but the characteristic classification field just confuses me slightly. It is an old template and I doubt anyone here now understands it so I thought someone here might know.

What is meant by a characteristic classification within GR&R?

Told you it was a stupid question from a newbie. I'll get there one day, wherever that is, but until then there's always Elsmar Cove!!!!!

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Stupid GR&R question from newbie

Can't post link so had to type. Copy into your browser and add the usual "http:slash slash" in front to see. I need another 4 posts before I am allowed to post links.

UNFORTUNATELY A LINK HERE TO A POST ATTACHMENT HAS BEEN LOST.

Just seen this and the sheet is very similar. What is the character classification in this one? It appears to be the MSA 3rd edition version judging by one of the cells in the spreadsheet.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

We have a standard GR&R sheet that we are supposed to be using for all our weight scales, verniers, micrometers, etc. It has the usual calculations suitable for this (apparently, someone more knowledgable than I set it up). It has data entry fields (excel based, did I say?) and mostly straight forward like characteristic such as weight but the characteristic classification field just confuses me slightly. It is an old template and I doubt anyone here now understands it so I thought someone here might know.

What is meant by a characteristic classification within GR&R?

Told you it was a stupid question from a newbie. I'll get there one day, wherever that is, but until then there's always Elsmar Cove!!!!!

There's probably no way to know for sure what was intended, but I'll take a stab at it. It could be that someone was trying to reduce the number of gage studies being done by creating "families." For example, characteristic classifications for calipers might include the types of measurments (outside, inside, depth) that can be done with a given device type. If this is accurate, there should also have been some kind of convention established for naming the various characteristics.

Whatever its original purpose was, it's not a standard part of doing gage studies, and may or may not be helpful to you as you go along.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
In addition to my previous response, and after gaining full conciousness early in the morning, "Characteristic Classification" might apply to special characteristics.

D

David DeLong

The characteristic class probably has to do with special characteristics where there is an automotive requirement that the GR&R is not to be above 10%. Measuring instruments used in other applications, the GR&R is not to be above 30%. That is at least how I remember it.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
In addition to my previous response, and after gaining full conciousness early in the morning, "Characteristic Classification" might apply to special characteristics.

Yes. The same terminology (Classification) used for the Special Characteristics column on the FMEA form. Thus the link with MSA and the requirement to perform MSA on systems used to verify Special Characteristics.

Top Bottom