Pre-written Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) rant!

F

Frankie11

After being asked by a client to modify our Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS)* template, I was googling for examples and was surprised by the number of companies selling pre-written SWMS.

They've taken what can be a great tool for hazard identification and risk control and turned it into another useless piece of paperwork that tarnishes the whole idea of workplace health and safety.

Not only do they contribute nothing to making a job safer, they reinforce the view among workers and management that safety is just ticking boxes and not a genuine effort to reduce workplace incidents.

I don't know if it is laziness or ignorance that would lead someone to purchase these and be satisfied that they've fulfilled their safety obligations.

Sorry for the rant, just had to get that off my chest!

*for those who don't know, similar to a JSA or task-based risk assessment.

D

Doug

Thanks Frankie 11,
My thoughts exactly. In my past life I was employed by a very large (steel) organization where 'Safety First' was undisputed at all levels of the organization. Our SJP (safe job procedures) were written to be task specific. Both hourly and management personnel were expected to have input. And they did. I can't imangine how these documents could be off-the-shelf useful. Once again, someone trying to make a buck at the expense of others.

K

kgott

After being asked by a client to modify our Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS)* template, I was googling for examples and was surprised by the number of companies selling pre-written SWMS.

Any particular reason for using the word Statement in Safe Work Method statement?

If I had a rant it would be about the use of this word. Funnily enough it gets used in Australia to and I don't know why, I wonder if its just safety people trying to sound all legal like, powerful, influential, authoritive and knowledgeable for whatever reason, perhaps because they lack confidence in their knowledge of how manage safety.

I don't know why we don't use a term like the documented process, 'agreed work method,' safe working method, safe way of working etc.

I cant see that using the word 'statement' adds anything at all, in fact it sounds silly more than anything else.

F

Frankie11

No idea kgott. I've only heard 'SWMS' used within the construction industry. Everywhere else (that I've seen) just refer to JSAs or risk assessments.

statement = documented??

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Any particular reason for using the word Statement in Safe Work Method statement?

If I had a rant it would be about the use of this word. Funnily enough it gets used in Australia to and I don't know why, I wonder if its just safety people trying to sound all legal like, powerful, influential, authoritive and knowledgeable for whatever reason, perhaps because they lack confidence in their knowledge of how manage safety.

I don't know why we don't use a term like the documented process, 'agreed work method,' safe working method, safe way of working etc.

I cant see that using the word 'statement' adds anything at all, in fact it sounds silly more than anything else.

kgott,

Method Statement is a contractual term. The Engineer has the right to require the Contractor to submit their Method Statement before starting a particularly important or difficult work item or task.

This requires the Contractor to think and plan in a way that is transparent to all involved including the Engineer.

The Engineer can then assign his or her resources to monitor effective use of the Method Statement as part of the Contractor's Management System or Project Quality Plan even though this management system or plan may be largely undocumented.

When used well, the Method Statement is a powerful and useful device.

John

K

kgott

No idea kgott. I've only heard 'SWMS' used within the construction industry. Everywhere else (that I've seen) just refer to JSAs or risk assessments.

statement = documented??

I've always wondered if some ex cop or lawyer started it?

K

kgott

kgott,

Method Statement is a contractual term. The Engineer has the right to require the Contractor to submit their Method Statement before starting a particularly important or difficult work item or task.

This requires the Contractor to think and plan in a way that is transparent to all involved including the Engineer.

The Engineer can then assign his or her resources to monitor effective use of the Method Statement as part of the Contractor's Management System or Project Quality Plan even though this management system or plan may be largely undocumented.

When used well, the Method Statement is a powerful and useful device.

John

Nothing wrong with any of of what you have said John, accept the use of the word 'statement' when I cannot see that it adds anything to document, the activity, the intent or purpose of the document.

I don't see that it adds anything to safety management either. I have never seen any instance of the use of a legalistic word contributing to any improvement in safety performance, a bit like the word 'shall' that safety people are also fond of using.

Trying to sound like a lawyer may impress some people and may sound authorative but I've never seen it make the job any safer.

Buy the bye, but I've met some safety people who consider themselves to para legals so I've suggested to them they take a cold shower.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Non-contractually we say statement when we declare to make known or state clearly, especially in explicit or formal terms.

As in quality policy statement or nonconformity statement.

Henria

OSH Officer
Hello ! Just a remark : in my country and some other un EU I don't know any (pre-written or not) "Safe Work Method Statement"... I don't realy understand what it is and what il the use. Bye.

Top Bottom