Our Parent company is our supplier? FAI (First Article Inspection) not required?

gard2372

Quite Involved in Discussions
We have a situation here where our parent company (different facility) is our supplier of critical parts. We complete the manufacturing process at our facility.

There are a few concerns in which we have to write CAR's for.

*Our parent company has already done FAI and qualification of their own mfg. processes and their suppliers for their facility.

*We are receving our parent company's parts at our station and are having difficulties in obtaining a PPAP package from them.

*We also cut P.O.'s to our parent company for some critical parts which are made in Europe. (The Europe supplier was qualified by them)

*These parts from Europe arrive at our facility and we are trying to get PPAP documentation for those parts as well.

The issue is ultimately our parent company is not being as cooperative as they should be in giving us PPAP/FAI data packages for our baseline records to conform to the Supplier Control specification.

Is there anything in the reg's that would help us hit our point home? :read:

B

BadgerMan

Re: Our Parent company is our supplier? FAI not required?

How are you communicating the requirement for submittal of the FAIR to you by your supplier (your parent organization)?

The standard only requires that they have a system for FAI (8.2.4.2), provided you are requiring them to comply with AS9100. If you want them to perform FAI in a specific manner (such as AS9102) and/or submit the resulting report (FAIR) to you, you need to flow those requirements down. Has all this been done? You my want to review your PO and/or your T’s and C’s.

BTW, based on my experiences in a previous life, PPAP is an automotive industry requirement. In my present job when I mistakenly refer to a FAIR as a PPAP, people look at me like I am from another planet.

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions

How are you communicating the requirement for submittal of the FAIR to you by your supplier (your parent organization)?

The standard only requires that they have a system for FAI (8.2.4.2), provided you are requiring them to comply with AS9100. If you want them to perform FAI in a specific manner (such as AS9102) and/or submit the resulting report (FAIR) to you, you need to flow those requirements down. Has all this been done? You my want to review your PO and/or your T’s and C’s.

BTW, based on my experiences in a previous life, PPAP is an automotive industry requirement. In my present job when I mistakenly refer to a FAIR as a PPAP, people look at me like I am from another planet.

I agree with Badger, you should still flow down your quality requirements if you want them to do the FAI or if there is certain customer expectations that have to be met other wise how will it happen?

Will you do the FAI?

Best Regards,
Al40

Last edited:
F

Frank T.

I agree with Badger as well, you should flow down your FAI (Aerospace) / PPAP (Automotive) requirements. If you already flow down these requirements and they are not adhereing to them, then a CAR might be necessary.

At my facility we do all FAI/PPAP's, regardless if purchased-out. This may seem crazy to some :bonk:, but it assures us that the parts meet all customer requirements. (Not suggesting that a supplier would fudge information. :notme:)

This is just an opinion........

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom