• RABQSA Internal Auditor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IRCA Internal Auditor

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
J

JLang

Hello Fellow Covers,

I am far away from getting any of these certification due to my short amount of time as an internal auditor (6 months, 4 audits), but I would like to work towards one of these certifications. Which of these three certifications would you suggest? Or would you suggest something different? Which would be the most beneficial? What would stick out most to an employer?

Here are a few more details that may help inform your response.
1. I work in fastener distribution and we supply mainly to Tier 1 and Tier 2 manufacturers.
2. Internal auditing is not my main responsiblity (I will perform 6-8 audits a year, but I hope to increase that and have a greater number of more focused audits).
3. I am responsible for auditing our compliance to ISO 9001 and 14001
4. I have taken an internal auditing training course for ISO 9001:2008 but it was not for any certification, just to meet internal auditor requirements.

I would love to see what other Covers think would be a good direction to head towards for the future. Thanks all.

AndyN

Moved On
It would help to know why the question is being asked. RAB and IRCA are very similar requirements and very different to ASQ auditor qualifications. What will they be used for? Professional development/resume enhancer?

J

JLang

It would help to know why the question is being asked. RAB and IRCA are very similar requirements and very different to ASQ auditor qualifications. What will they be used for? Professional development/resume enhancer?
I would say the main reason for seeking out an accredidation is my professional development. I would like to become much more effective internal auditor and be able to produce more valuable audits. Having said that though, I would obviously like something that looks nice on a resume.

Sorry that probably didn't really answer your question :)

AndyN

Moved On
I would say the main reason for seeking out an accredidation is my professional development. I would like to become much more effective internal auditor and be able to produce more valuable audits. Having said that though, I would obviously like something that looks nice on a resume.

Holding a certification with one or other of these isn't going to make you a better auditor - that's called competency.

My experience of the RABQSA/IRCA certification is that it's costly (for you) and, more importantly, few employers have a clue what it is. If you are looking for a resume boost, I'd go with the ASQ, although I don't feel that the body of knowledge is really aligned with what's needed to be a QMS auditor - and, probably, others will disagree! It is, however, well known and accepted as a qualification by employers, especially when compared to the other options...

J

Jeff Frost

Typically I have seen ASQ CQA certification or RABQSA/IRCA Lead Auditor as the qualification most asked for. Interestingly enough IRCA does offer an Internal Auditor and Consultant Auditor type certifications where RABQSA does not.

My recommendation would be obtain your ASQ certification and see if your employer will spring for a RABQSA or IRCA accredited Lead Auditor course which run about $1800.

T

treesei

although I don't feel that the body of knowledge is really aligned with what's needed to be a QMS auditor - and, probably, others will disagree!
Totally agreed! A cert and a good auditor are largely unrelated. But it is a resume enhancer and qualification tool used by, I guess, those employers having no clue about auditing which are the majority. So still worth getting it.:D

J

JLang

I realize that the certification in and of itself will not gaurantee that I become a good auditor. My guess is that going through the process of getting certified will, however, help to enhance my skills.

You get out what you put in I guess.

Randy

Super Moderator
I realize that the certification in and of itself will not gaurantee that I become a good auditor. My guess is that going through the process of getting certified will, however, help to enhance my skills.

You get out what you put in I guess.

Going through the process will do more for relieving you of cash than it will in increasing your skills.

Wanna increase your skills? Get out there, audit, review your performance, and improve where you believ you need it

Top Bottom