EN 16001 or ISO 50001 - Which way would you go?

I

Insulaner

Hello,
I am environmental management representative of a quite big technical service company in Germany. Our service stations are located worldwide. We are certified in ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001.
Today the the ceo asked me, if it's possible getting a certified energy management system. It should be first introduced at our headquarter in Germany and then adapted for our service stations worldwide.

Now my question.
I am wondering myself, what's the right way to go, getting certified in EN 16001 or ISO 50001.
Please tell me, which way would you go? Does anyone know significant differences between these standards?
Pleas tell me, and let us discuss these.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Re: EN 16001 or ISO 50001

Now my question.
I am wondering myself, what's the right way to go, getting certified in EN 16001 or ISO 50001.
Please tell me, which way would you go? Does anyone significant differences between these standards?
Pleas tell me, and let us discuss these.
Firstly, ISO 50001 is not released yet. I attended a virtual meeting this morning and we were told that ISO 50001 should be released as an International Standard in August. EN16001, on the other hand is available and there are accredited certification programs already in place in Europe.

So, if you need/want to attain certification right away, the only option at this time is the EN route. But, since you mentioned that your organization has a global footprint, I would wait and take the ISO path.

Yes, there are significant differences between EN 16001 and ISO 50001. The ISO standard emphasizes performance. More to come on that, later.

I

Insulaner

Re: EN 16001 or ISO 50001

The good thing is I have no deadline to get this certification yet, I think I should wait until the ISO 50001 is released.

There are some unanswered questions regarding the fiscal law, in Germany companies with a EN 16001 certification are getting a tax benefit and so on. And it is still outstanding if there are tax benefit for ISO 50001.

I think the tax department should make descision. ;)

Randy

Super Moderator
1st let me be up front, I am fulltime staff with BSI. I am a BSI Lead Auditor in Energy Management and the a BSI Instructor in Energy Management, but I am no expert

I've got the draft ISO 50001 right here with me so adding to Sidney (and no, I cannot supply a copy of it)....ISO 50001 is being based on the formatted requirments contained in BS 16001, so you could do quite a bit of work prior to the release, which is due in the March-April 2011 timeframe...
As Sidney said, there are changes and one of the 1st ones you see is that the numbering is a bit different, other changes I can't really go into at this time. http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=45606

You could: at least start conducting an energy inventory so as to help you determine your energy baseline and energy performance indicators. There is a book available that was written by Vilnis Vesma " Energy Management Principles and Practice" that may be of help and here is his link as well ( http://www.vesma.com/ )
http://shop.bsigroup.com/en/ProductDetail/?pid=000000000030202750

There is also other material, especially here in the US that can be used to help, just follow the link to stuff I have previously posted http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=43860&page=2

Bottom line, if you already have BS 16001:2009 use it as a starting point and then just transition everything over to ISO 50001 when it comes out. One thing for sure, 50001 is not a prescriptive as 16001

C

CamillaFJ

As an experienced consultant working with both ISO 14001 and certification on (iso) energy, we have in Denmark worked with energy certification as a tool to reduce energy consumption for several years. My expeience is that the company ímplementing (iso) energy reduce their enegy consumption and the implementation is better (more detailed) than just ISO 14001.
Why write (iso) energy, because it has been possible to be certified on a danish standard on energy since 1997 (DS 2403), and now we use the iso 50001 not the EN 16001.
I think the companies getting energy certified can communicate this to their stakeholders end in our century it is interesting to communicate about responsibility on reducing CO2.

Hello Camilla, and welcome to the Cove, :bigwave:
Why write (iso) energy, because it has been possible to be certified on a danish standard on energy since 1997 (DS 2403), and now we use the iso 50001 not the EN 16001.
I am not familiar with DS 2403, but I guess it is similar to the Swedish SS 16 77 50, we used to have. Now, as you say, it is all about ISO 50001, which supersedes EN 16001:2009 which in turn is going to be withdrawn in 2014.

/Claes

Top Bottom