Have you ever applied for a training grant, what were the results? Who? Where?

Have you ever applied for a training grant, what were the results?

• Never applied

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Applied and denied

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Applied and Approved

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
There is mucho $$$$ available out there. How many have applied successfully? Which states? And how was the grant awarded?

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Nebraska. There is an extension group through the colleges that will write your grant, submit it, provide the training, facilities and everything. I didn't really do anything but answer their questions.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
In Utah, Applied Technology Colleges (ATCs) get state money to provide custom-fit training for companies. My company works with them to provide local companies with training and they will often pay as much as 50% of the total costs. Sometimes it's been more. It's very similar to what SteelMaiden described.

gpainter

Back in 99 - Indiana- application-thru the state- usually go to your state site and look under commerce or do a search for your city/county/state business development center.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Anyone know if there is anything similar in Canada...specifically Ontario?

What I do know exists is a special programme to help subsidize hiring a College student (don't think it exists for University students). If we hire a College student for a term, about 50% of their pay may be subsidized through a government programme. We get cheap labour and people who work hard and want to learn. They get a job and learn hopefully useful skills. And if the right environment is fostered, they'll come back to work full-time upon graduation. Total win-win situation.

T

tomvehoski

Michigan: completed a project earlier this year where the state paid for training, managed through a participating college, Washtenaw Community College in this case. We (consultant) provided training record documentation to WCC, who paid us with funds they received from the state (minus their administration fee). I don't have all of the details, but can get the name of the coordinator at WCC if anyone is interested.

Kentucky also provided funding a few years ago (2000). Not sure of the current status of the program.

D

db

tomvehoski said:
Michigan: completed a project earlier this year where the state paid for training, managed through a participating college, Washtenaw Community College in this case. We (consultant) provided training record documentation to WCC, who paid us with funds they received from the state (minus their administration fee). I don't have all of the details, but can get the name of the coordinator at WCC if anyone is interested.

We do a lot of training through various Michigan grants. The MEDC (Michigan Economic Development Corporation) has several types of grants available. MAny have been pulled due to the current state budget shortfall, but there are still many more. If you are in Michigan, check with the MEDC directly. If you are in another state, check with your agency that is dedicated to economic development. Colleges only deal with the grant money they are allocated, the state can probably give you a much wider range of choices.

barb butrym

lots of states use the "workforce development" "DETA" umbrella to hide their grants. Most are federally reimbursed. Its quite luctative in some cases. I did a search for workforce development and the state ....Wach state handles the money theeir way. Some do the college thing, some do company specific......Mass has 3 different programs. I have been very successful. Have gotten several companies money to cover the full implementation costs and other stuff.

Sorry, dont know much about Canada. Do know that there are several agencies in Toronto that have (had?) $$ available for ISO implementation stuff. Like insurance, law, banking, auto dealerships, medical devices etc HIGHLY REGULATED areas. I was looking into it a while back but never followed it through.

barb butrym

your thought?

I am thinking about writing a paper/presentation on how to fill out those forms. Does anyone think its a worth while exercise? Or would I be better to sell the service as part of my sales pitch?

C

Craig H.

barb:

I am going to do a serch on GA to see whats out there, so I know little.

That said, it seems to me that with each state having different programs, one paper covering them all might be confusing. If I were you, I'd try to make some $ with the service.

Craig

Top Bottom