Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 17025 - General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > ISO 17025 and related Metrology Topics - Measurement Devices, Calibration and Test Laboratories
Forum Username

Wooden Line

TS 16949 Calibration System Audit - What questions will they ask me?

Wooden Line
Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
calibration (general topics)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 11th May 2008, 08:58 PM
kat.k.

Let Me Help You TS 16949 Calibration System Audit - What questions will they ask me?

I have a big TS 16949 audit on gage calibrations this week. Any idea on what the auditor will ask?

Thanks
Kat.k.

Sponsored Links
Old 11th May 2008, 09:02 PM
Hershal

Re: TS 16949 audit for calibration

Gege calibration audits should be fairly consistent, but I am not an expert on TS-16949, so not the best to answer that part. Someone else will likely help with better answers there.

From what I understand though, accredited external labs are required, so have the e4vidence of their accreditation handy.....

Hope this helps.
Thanks to Hershal for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 11th May 2008, 09:09 PM
Helmut Jilling

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by kat.k. View Post

I have a big TS 16949 audit on gage calibrations this week. Any idea on what the auditor will ask?

Thanks
Kat.k.

Read clause 7.6 in the TS standard,,,that is what the auditor should look for. And, if you supply to the Big 3, the AIAG MSA Manual is also applicable.

In short, some items will be to review:
records of gage calibration,
are gages current,
skills of the calibrator,
are external labs accredited to 17025 or equiv,
MSA studies (Gage R&R, Bias, etc.)

that is a good starting point.
Old 12th May 2008, 01:58 AM
joshua_sx1

Re: TS 16949 Calibration System Audit - What questions will they ask me?

There are so many things that an auditor can ask you during the audit… such as “where is the lunch is going to be?”, “whether you reserved meat or vegetarian dish?”, and sometimes, your auditor may also ask of how you are going to pay them, cash or credit? etc..

..anyway, others may include like your statistical studies to analyze variation, your calibration plan this year (in-house & outside), a comparative analysis of your last year calibration plan against the actual performed calibration, your 3rd party calibration certificates, any corrective & preventive action pertaining to your lapse calibration or un-calibrated measuring devices, your control of nonconforming gages, calibration records, etc…

…these are the only things comes to my mind while I was typing and I’m sure there’s still a lot of thing that may come-out, depending also from the competent level of the auditor…
Old 12th May 2008, 03:13 AM
spacemanR

Kat.k,
is it your first TS audit?
i think ,no big difference with ISO9001 audit except MSA manual .
maybe some questions on MSA manaual will be asked,such as,how to do GR&R,what is your criteria to accept the result ,when to do MSA,etc.
Old 12th May 2008, 08:46 AM
Jerry Eldred

I'm a little rusty in this area as I spent about 10 years in a TS16949 (formerly QS9000) compliant environment. But I will give it a shot.

My recollections of the TS and QS standard were that they were ISO9000 "with an attitude."

One of the points I seem to recall we got a minor nonconformance in was regarding our outside vendors. At inception of the requirement (for us) we previously had not used ISO17025 accredited outside vendors. We had to scramble to convert our outside calibration work to accredited. There were a number of instances where we could not find an accredited vendor for calibration of a given instrument. In those cases, the auditor said we needed to document evidence that we had searched for an accredited vendor. That seemed to be a bit of a sticking point is the area of accredited vendors.

There are, I am sure, many other sticking points. But that was one I remembered well.
Old 12th May 2008, 08:51 AM
bgwiehle

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by kat.k. View Post

The TS auditors will be using the process audit approach. That means that they will probably audit the production floor by following the control plans of parts going to your key customers.

Among other activities, they will note the measuring devices referenced on those control plans, recording the information from identification and calibration labels & document rev dates, whether forms are filled out at the required intervals. They may ask a gauge user to demonstrate how it is used.

Then, in the calibration lab portion, they will follow up on the matching calibration records, gauge R&R (and other studies as applicable). They could check your laboratory scope document. They will look at certs from master gauges and outside calibration services, if applicable. Training records for lab personnel are fair game. Document control of gauge & calibration work instructions and record control of gauge records will be included. Etc.

B.G. Wiehle
Document Control & Internal auditor in our QMS, audit guide
Thank You to bgwiehle for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 12th May 2008, 08:56 AM
AndyN

Thumbs up Re: TS 16949 Calibration System Audit - What questions will they ask me?

BG W

Nice post thanks! A good description, IMHO, of what should happen.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 17025 - General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > ISO 17025 and related Metrology Topics - Measurement Devices, Calibration and Test Laboratories

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?