Certificate of Compliance - Put a form number on it or not?

Crusader

Trusted Information Resource
We are required by 1 Customer to submit a Certificate of Compliance with each shipment.

Currently, one person is in charge of handling this and that will not change. He creates the doc on his computer and send the paperwork on its way to the Customer.

I know how you all love this type of doc :rolleyes::notme: but I have no way of avoiding it.

The dumb question of the day:
To control it or not with a form number for ISO 9001:2008?

Begin discussion! :popcorn:

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Re: Certificate of Compliance -Put a form # on it or not?

Nothing gets out our door without a CoA. Our choice, but it is what it is.

If everything gets a different one, or even if you have more than one (which you apparently don't yet), there has to be a way to make sure the correct format goes out with the goods. It doesn't have to be a form number...but that is one way that is fairly easy and in-line with existing document control systems.

We form number and rev number our CoA's...it works well with little maintenance required. Necessary, yes...but only because we make it necessary.

My :2cents:...don't bother with form numbers until you have two differing CoA's to discern between...but once you do have two, put a form number on them and reference that form number in the shipment packing process with "if applicable".

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Re: Certificate of Compliance -Put a form # on it or not?

He creates the doc on his computer and send the paperwork on its way to the Customer.
He (means the company) sends out the CofC. It must look a official authorized doc.
It better be comprehensive and same always and addresses all the customer's requirement. These requirements can be different to various customers. A method of drawing out a number for the CofC, with a date and having a reference to the sent out parts commercial document makes good sense. It better be signed by the person who is authorized to release products to go to customer per your QMS.
I believe this much is a sure good control.
Its a bright question of the day. What else would you like to hear ~~~

Crusader

He.. Meaning...an engineer in the company who is signing off on the c of c. He is authorized to sign and represent the company. He uses the same exact format every time.

I don't want to have to put a form number on this doc. It's not used anywhere else..nor is it required for anyone else. This is a unique & specific customer request.

Just want to be sure that I am making the right decision. I'd hate to get into the audit and then be told it has to have a form number. Ugh.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
He.. Meaning...an engineer in the company who is signing off on the c of c. He is authorized to sign and represent the company. He uses the same exact format every time.

I don't want to have to put a form number on this doc. It's not used anywhere else..nor is it required for anyone else. This is a unique & specific customer request.

Just want to be sure that I am making the right decision. I'd hate to get into the audit and then be told it has to have a form number. Ugh.
When you are this much good, why are you thinking a form number.
When you are this good and in control, I am sure you will handle any audit question likewise.

Crusader

I'm not thinking a form number. I don't want a form number. I'm just simply trying to get everyone's input to make sure I am proceeding in the right direction.
Apparently, I am. Thanks :bigwave:

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
I'm not thinking a form number. I don't want a form number. I'm just simply trying to get everyone's input to make sure I am proceeding in the right direction.
Apparently, I am. Thanks :bigwave:

Yes, you could avoid putting the form no and revision number but be careful when the current template is superceded by a new revision.

Many a times, I have seen that Quality Engineers have a soft copy in their hard disks and they just copy paste - so the older cert may go to the customer :caution:

rickpaul01

Involved in HankyPanky
We are required by 1 Customer to submit a Certificate of Compliance with each shipment.

Currently, one person is in charge of handling this and that will not change. He creates the doc on his computer and send the paperwork on its way to the Customer.

I know how you all love this type of doc :rolleyes::notme: but I have no way of avoiding it.

The dumb question of the day:
To control it or not with a form number for ISO 9001:2008?

Begin discussion! :popcorn:
We have some paper output that is created with the help of an ERP system. Let?s use the packing slip as an example. These documents do not have a form number in the same sense as a form I might have created using Microsoft Word. And they are not listed on my document master list.
But, there is an identifier (that includes the revision) that my computer programmer assigns. It?s on auto-pilot, it has to happen in order for the ERP system to function properly.
One way to look at it would be to say that this output is outside the scope of my QMS. But technically, since it is necessary, it is supposed to be included in the QMS.
Since these documents look so professional, and are so well controlled, I have never been issued a non-conformance for this. That doesn?t mean a future auditor won?t write one up.
What you have described sounds exactly the same to me. Your engineer is controlling this document outside of your QMS. So, don?t assign a form number if you don?t want to, but don?t argue if the auditor says the form needs to be included in the QMS.
Good Luck

Crusader

Remember ISO 9001 does not require ANY form numbers! Nor does it require document ID numbers.

I'm in favor of that! But I'm trying to train a culture of no control to some control. I'll use a date!

Top Bottom