Can anyone share a completed Gage R & R on a Micrometer?

D

dbulak

Would someone be willing to share a completed GRR on a digital 0-1 outside micrometer?
Thanks in advance.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Can anyone share a completed Gage R & R on a Micrometer ?

LOL...that's what I would expect from a micrometer...
After beating our head against micrometer GRR% from 35-95% we bought a CMM.

I'm interested to see if anyone managed to pass (< 10%) with a handheld micrometer. :popcorn:

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
Hi!!!

Attached herewith two GRR studies performed on Micrometer 0-25mm with least count 0.01mm.

% GRR observed after this study is 18% & 13 % (Which is acceptable to our customer).

Thanks,
Amit

Attachments

• GRR Micrometer.xlsx
    16.8 KB · Views: 297
  • GRR MICROMETER (2).xlsx
    17.1 KB · Views: 229

Golfman25

LOL...that's what I would expect from a micrometer...
After beating our head against micrometer GRR% from 35-95% we bought a CMM.

I'm interested to see if anyone managed to pass (< 10%) with a handheld micrometer. :popcorn:
Almost impossible. But, it has been in use since the advent of fire. Suddenly some statistician says its "no good" any longer. Go figure.

Ninja

Looking for Reality

Almost impossible. But, it has been in use since the advent of fire. Suddenly some statistician says its "no good" any longer. Go figure.

Hahaha, agreed.

I wonder if said statistician actually said,

"Oh heavens, they are that bad?!?
How can I develop a gage reliability test complex enough to convince people to not use micrometers,
but to still hide from them that all of their old work is now in question and not have them blame it all on me? "

WCHorn

Rubber, Too Glamorous?
It all depends on the tolerance. Here's one with less than 10% GRR; note that the tolerance is ?0.004", not the far tighter tolerances that have been discussed to date. The product measured is a rubber seal (like a gasket, not a rubber pool toy). Some information is redacted.:ca:

Attachments

• Gage Study.pdf
    284.1 KB · Views: 209

LRE67

Involved In Discussions
Doing a GRR on an outside micrometer and having it come out with favorable results is a rare feat. In most cases you see the biggest problem in the Appraiser Variation. One has to develop that certain "feel" to use a micrometer correctly. Over the years I have seen everything from a person with that (feather like) touch, to someone who cranks it down so hard that you could actually pick the part up like it was being held by a "C" Clamp and carry it across the shop floor.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Totally agreed. My poor GRR results with a micrometer (or calipers for that matter) were dominated by appraiser variation.

Equipment variation tends to be high too, if the tolerance is down in the 0.001" range, but Appraiser variation is overwhelmingly larger.

Golfman25

to someone who cranks it down so hard that you could actually pick the part up like it was being held by a "C" Clamp and carry it across the shop floor.

I had a customer do that once on thin walled part, changing the dimension several thousands and rejecting the parts. Stubborn mule drove us crazy.

Top Bottom