Objectives, Targets and Programs (OTP)

O

Onayt

Hi everyone,

I am Onayt and one of the newest members of this forum. I am the QA Manager of our firm (an Engineering Consulting company). I am so glad to have found this one...i really think this will help me and my company as well in our quest for ISO 9001:2008 certification.

Anyway, my concern is the development of Office/Department OTPs. We have just recently approved our Company-wide OTP, however, we are having a hard time in developing the Department OTPs (due to lack of focus of some department managers and somehow, the lack of understanding on how OTPs should be developed).

I am seeking for good advice from you, experts..many thanks

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Objectives, Targets and Programs

Rather than speaking about Department, I would suggest to focus on your processes.
You shall identify the processed for your Quality Management System, showing the interaction among them and document them.
You shall identify key performance measurement for them so that you can understand if your programm of continuous improvement is ok or not, based upon your quality objective and business plan.

In my understanding objective are the goal you establish for your processes, target the line of measurement to achieve them and programs are related to what you do and resources utilized to reach them.:bigwave:

O

Onayt

This is very helpful thanks...however, we are being asked to come up with OTPs for each department which are of course based on the company-wide OTPs...I observed that our managers are having difficulty in the alignment of their drafted OTPs with that of the company's...not to mention that programs made were not measurable, hence impossible to monitor...

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

This is very helpful thanks...however, we are being asked to come up with OTPs for each department which are of course based on the company-wide OTPs...I observed that our managers are having difficulty in the alignment of their drafted OTPs with that of the company's...not to mention that programs made were not measurable, hence impossible to monitor...

What's the difference between "objective," "target" and "program"?

This really shouldn't be very difficult. Someone at or near the top of the organization has to determine what people are doing for a living, and then determine whether or not they're doing it, and how it might be done better and more efficiently. Whenever someone has a problem with objectives, it's because they don't understand what's required. Unless you have the authority to determine what's required, whatever you do at your level is likely to do more harm than good. If your people are having trouble aligning local objectives with the global ones, it's likely that there's something wrong with the global objectives.

O

Onayt

Good point Jim...i think there's something wrong with the overall objectives...we have to revisit these as soon as possible :bigwave:

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Good point Jim...i think there's something wrong with the overall objectives...we have to revisit these as soon as possible :bigwave:

My suggestion is to use 3 main indicators to measure: time, cost and quality and those could be also usefull to create the link to the objectives ang goal.
usually a goal is: SMART stand stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely.To set a goal you could be able to responde to the six W: Who, WHat, Where, Whan, Which, Why.
To better deploy objective a method should be used, for example, QFD ( Quality Function Deployment) :bigwave:

Randy

Super Moderator
What's the difference between "objective," "target" and "program"?
Really? You don't know the difference? Pity.

Objective = performance goal

Target = detailed performance level

Program = planning arrangements to achieve objectives & targets

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Really? You don't know the difference? Pity.

Objective = performance goal

Target = detailed performance level

Program = planning arrangements to achieve objectives & targets

Pity? :biglaugh:
It's a good thing I wasn't relying on you for the definitions. This is an ISO 9001 question, and ISO 9005:2005 defines "quality objective" as "something sought, or aimed for, related to quality." There is no definition there for "target," but I'm pretty sure that a target is usually something "aimed for." This means that there is no significant difference between the two terms, and trying to give them different meanings will only confuse things.

As far as "program" is concerned, your definition is probably as good as any, but there's no normative definition, so it's a good idea to have people define their terms before you try to offer help.

Randy

Super Moderator
Yeah, you're right, being fairly new and inexperienced in the field myself I was just guessing;)

It's surprising the reference to ISO 9000:2005:mg:

Top Bottom