Career Change from Industrial Engineer to Quality Engineer

Q

QE

Guys

The place I work at sucks for Quality Engineering work. Its always business first no matter what quality issue is on hand. On that thought process I have decided to make a career change. I am a Industrial Engineer and have grown in Quality Engineer. Can my fellow cove member give me advise on what the career paths can be for me ?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: Career Change

Guys

The place I work at sucks for Quality Engineering work. Its always business first no matter what quality issue is on hand. On that thought process I have decided to make a career change. I am a Industrial Engineer and have grown in Quality Engineer. Can my fellow cove member give me advise on what the career paths can be for me ?
It's a question which arises frequently. Here's a good starting place to read what we've been writing for years - this is good information which does not go out of date.

A

arios

Its always business first no matter what quality issue is on hand.

That is a common challenge for a quality profesional, and a behaviour we need learn how to cope and deal with. Almost everywhere you go you may find the same issue at some degree.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

That is a common challenge for a quality profesional, and a behaviour we need learn how to cope and deal with. Almost everywhere you go you may find the same issue at some degree.
That's the truth. Well, too often it is. And when it is, the QA professional is the one who keeps going back to try to turn it around because that's who and what we are.

Q

QE

Wes, Arios and Jennifer thanks for your reply. I dont see a point doing Quality engineering work as there are no rewards for it. Even the regulatory bodies can not be our allies, thats how messed up the business are. And as the economy gets more screwed up more issues goes under the rug.
QE is just a sacrificial lamb, and I dont want to be one. Its time I get advise from the people on different careers that I can make a change over to.

So Guys,what can an industrial engineer do except Quality Policing in wild wild west?

A

arios

Consider getting in touch with your local ASQ chapter, and if possible pursue an ASQ certification, The certifications will not only help you develop your background but will also make your CV more attractive to other employers who value those achievements better and could even make you a better offer for your job. Hope this helps

Q

QE

Arios, I have Completed ASQ CQIA, CSSGB, CQE, CSSBB. The issue is more certifications I complete more qualified it makes me in the Quality Discipline.

I am ready for a career change. No more QE work, Quality is managements perception and they can change it any time they want.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Arios, I have Completed ASQ CQIA, CSSGB, CQE, CSSBB. The issue is more certifications I complete more qualified it makes me in the Quality Discipline.

I am ready for a career change. No more QE work, Quality is managements perception and they can change it any time they want.

Quality field is not that bad; unfortuantely the rottn apples are making you feel it bad. Quality is your forte and stick to it for greater successes. There are many organizations out there who nourish good quality professionals.

My advise is to look for another employer if the current one is making you feel dejected. One of my previous employer also made me feel the way you are feeling but my current organization is very committed to quality :)

Q

QE

Ajit, I agree that its organizational however I am on an H1B visa and presently US has employers who are not willing to hire H1b workers.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Guys

Ajit, I agree that its organizational however I am on an H1B visa and presently US has employers who are not willing to hire H1b workers.
Yeah, Ive heard a lot of the companies who DO hire H1b workers exploit these workers to the point of extorting them to work hard for low reward or face having the visa pulled.

I wrote recently
I've noticed two characteristics shared by many folks in the quality profession:

1. shyness, accompanied by a strong reluctance to tout one's own talent or ability
  2. a poor understanding of what one's true talents and abilities are
Let me introduce you to a tool called a "Skills Assessment Matrix" (SAM)
At its most basic, a SAM is simply a list of all the skills and talents one possesses or that a job requires placed into a grid where check marks are placed according to the skill level one possesses for each item (zero for "no clue" up to five for "top expert in the field."

Armed with such a SAM, a job candidate can more easily promote the skills he has which rank higher than 3 and avoid looking at jobs which require skill levels higher than possessed. (IT'S ALSO A GUIDELINE FOR WHICH SKILLS NEED TO BE GAINED OR UPGRADED.)

Take some time to google "Skills Assessment Matrix" or substitute the word "grid" or "template" for the word "matrix" to get a feel for the different kinds of SAMs and work on making your own, not only for a current job search, but as an aid to touting your value to the organization where you now work to help gain promotions and to learn what skills you may need to upgrade just to stay employed!

If you have questions about SAMs, start a new thread in this Forum (Career and Occupation Discussions) and we'll work on the tool for everyone's benefit.
The fact you have an impressive list of certifications, but still feel under appreciated is a clue you need to work hard on making such a matrix to match your skills and experience with one or more organizations who WILL appreciate them. It isn't easy, but it IS doable, especially for someone who has had the intestinal fortitude to pursue the designations you list.

Included in your grid should be desirable characteristics of your next employer, especially the H1b Visa topic.

I can't stress enough what a good tool this is for helping folks really focus on the important aspects of the job hunt and nullify the emotional distractions of personality and culture clashes.

Good luck!

Top Bottom