PPAP Requirements including GMW 3179 Zinc Plating Specification Requirements

V

vardar3

Do any of you have experiance with this Zinc plating specification. I'm trying to figure out what test need to be performed by our suppliers in order to PPAP. The spec list a bunch of test like:
  • ISO 1463 microscopic test to measure plating thickness (Code A is 10 g/m^2 )
  • GMW3286 salt spray min 24 hours to red rust
  • GMW14729 humidity testing for Adhesion
  • GMW14829 tape test for adhesion
If a platers PPAPs stamping made from 2340 steel, do they have to do all these test. I'm used to just seeing salt spray test submitted. I would like to talk to someone about this.

J

JLang

Vardar,

I have not worked specifically with that GM specification before, but it is pretty standard in our company to ask our suppliers to provide all testing that is required by the specification. If our suppliers cannot provide specific tests we will then send parts out to an A2LA accredited lab for those tests. We generally try to avoid submitting a plated part without full testing.

Have you talked to you customer on this to see what their requirements are? Do they require all of the testing or just the salt spray testing?

I have seen cases before where the customer is alright with just plating thickness and salt spray test submissions and will bypass the adhesion and humidity tests.

The positive is that it is only a 24 hour salt spray which means you could probably get all four of those tests done for relatively cheap depending on the lab you use (200-300 dollars would probably be a safe bet).

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Do any of you have experiance with this Zinc plating specification. I'm trying to figure out what test need to be performed by our suppliers in order to PPAP. The spec list a bunch of test like:
  • ISO 1463 microscopic test to measure plating thickness (Code A is 10 g/m^2 )
  • GMW3286 salt spray min 24 hours to red rust
  • GMW14729 humidity testing for Adhesion
  • GMW14829 tape test for adhesion
If a platers PPAPs stamping made from 2340 steel, do they have to do all these test. I'm used to just seeing salt spray test submitted. I would like to talk to someone about this.

The time to deal with this is in the beginning. The best way I've found is to get a quote from a qualified independent lab and include it as line items in the quotation. Without a specific waiver from your customer you're obligated to have all of the testing done.

Last edited:
V

vardar3

I talked about it with our plater. It appears that the humidity test and tape adhesion are for painted parts, so all that is required for Phos and Oil is the plating thickness and salt spray. Looking at previous PPAP it appears that's all that was passed on to the customer and they accepted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom