The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 26th July 2006, 09:49 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 7
Karma Power: 60
gard2372 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.gard2372 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.gard2372 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.gard2372 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.gard2372 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.gard2372 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.
Please Help! International Standards BS/EN/DIN/ISO U.S. Equivalents Matrix

Does anyone know of a service or engineering firm that has a matrix or can create one that will show International Standards BS/EN/DIN/ISO and their ASTM/ASME equivalents?

All of our drawings and specifications call out ISO or EN standards. Our suppliers here in the U.S. are trying to source our parts for us. We are trying to find the U.S. equivalents.

"It costs a lot to build bad products"

Sponsored Links
Old 26th July 2006, 11:48 AM
Wes R

Registration Date: Jun 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 3
Karma Power: 58
Wesley Richardson is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Wesley Richardson is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Wesley Richardson is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Wesley Richardson is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Wesley Richardson is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Wesley Richardson is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Wesley Richardson is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.
Re: International Standards BS/EN/DIN/ISO U.S. Equivalents Matrix

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by gard2372

Does anyone know of a service or engineering firm that has a matrix or can create one that will show International Standards BS/EN/DIN/ISO and their ASTM/ASME equivalents?

All of our drawings and specifications call out ISO or EN standards. Our suppliers here in the U.S. are trying to source our parts for us. We are trying to find the U.S. equivalents.
In the metals testing field, I have worked with BS, CSA, EN, DIN, ISO, JIS, TUV and about 10 other international standards organization's documents. I have also worked with ASME BPVC, ASTM, DOT, SAE AMS, AS, MAM and many others in the U.S. One caution that I have regarding a matrix of "equivalent" documents is that they are not equivalent. For example in specifying a metal alloy, the primary element percentages may be the same, but the allowed trace elements levels are not. The Charpy impact test specified by ASTM E 23 is similar to the DIN metals impact test, however the anvil, weights, and methods of calibration are entirely different. In tensile testing of metals, you can convert the yield and ultimate strength values, however the strain rates between the U.S. standards and the European standards are different, thus the values cannot be directly compared. For fasteners like bolts and nuts, you can convert the size, but the grades of fasteners are not equivalent.

My recommendation is that if you are supplying materials to a standard, such as BS, DIN, EN, ISO, you need to purchase that document. People complain about the cost of standards in the U.S., but you will find that the European standards are typically much higher in cost. I once bought a 3 page standard that cost $200, and that was about 8 years ago. I also bought (for the company I worked for) a three ring binder of German pressure vessel standards, with about 100 pages in it for over $800.

Wes R.

Last edited by Wesley Richardson; 26th July 2006 at 12:34 PM.
Sponsored Links

Old 26th July 2006, 12:04 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 7
Karma Power: 60
gard2372 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.gard2372 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.gard2372 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.gard2372 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.gard2372 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.gard2372 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.
Re: International Standards BS/EN/DIN/ISO U.S. Equivalents Matrix

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Wesley Richardson

In the metals testing field, I have worked with BS, CSA, EN, DIN, ISO, JIS, TUV and about 10 other international standards organization's documents. I have also worked with ASME BPVC, ASTM, DOT, SAE AMS, AS, MAM and many others in the U.S. One caution that I have regarding a matrix of "equivalent" documents is that they are not equivalent. For example in specifying a metal alloy, the primary element percentages may be the same, but the allowed trace elements levels are not. The Charpy impact test specified by ASTM E 23 is similar to the DIN metals impact test, however the anvil, weights, and methods of calibration are entirely different. In tensile testing of metals, you can convert the yield and ultimate strength values, however the strain rates between the U.S. standards and the European standards are different, thus the values cannot be directly compared. For fasteners like bolts and nuts, you can covert the size, but the grades of fasteners are not equivalent.

My recommendation is that if you are supplying materials to a standard, such as BS, DIN, EN, ISO, you need to purchase that document. People complain about the cost of standards in the U.S., but you will find that the European standards are typically much higher in cost. I once bought a 3 page standard that cost $200, and that was about 8 years ago. I also bought (for the company I worked for) a three ring binder of German pressure vessel standards, with about 100 pages in it for over $800.

Wes R.
I use the following website to download and purchase ISO/BS/EN/DIN standards. Thus far, they have had every standard I have needed.

http://global.ihs.com/

"It costs a lot to build bad products"

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?