Packaging Shock Testing - Examples of Fragility and g-factors

C

crossmax

Hi,

I´m looking for some help regarding the requirements of our packaging. We need to develop a packaging to transport our laser-based devices but don´t have any experience regarding its shock capabilities yet. These tests will be conducted within the next month´but we need to continue with the packaging.

Thus, I´d like to ask wheter someone could give me some examples of their fragility / g-factors. For which shock levels is your packaging constructed?

Some facts regarding our device: laser and several optical elements included, portable, weight 12 kg.

Every input is well appreciated!

Max

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Probably not as specific an answer as you'd hoped, but when in doubt, overkill is good in packaging.

UPS and FedEx can and regularly do destroy packaging designed to withstand atmospheric re-entry.

Hard cases look good on the outside but if the foam is too rigid inside they just serve to transmit shock to the product while not incurring any visible marks.

Is your organization doing this independent of any outside consultants? Places that manufacture packaging often offer design assistance and testing.

Definitely test. We've built product and destroyed it in testing the packaging should have been able to take - valuable lesson learned sooner than later.

Top Bottom