Quick and dirty training for team - Structured problem solving

D

davis007

All:

My CEO has given me the opportunity to build a team and attack a problem we have been having with a structured process. What I mean is that up until now we have addressed problems with an approach akin to throwing things against the wall and hopping something sticks. That is at least if someone had an idea to throw.

After a long discussion with our CEO I was able to convince him that we need a more structured approach, to define the problems, focus the efforts at improvement, and measure the effectiveness of the solutions. He has proposed that we start with a particular problem that has plagued us for some time. He defined the team and told me to lead it.

Now the problem, no one here has any training of any kind, no SS, no 8-D, no 5-S, nothing. What I know I have learned online through forums like these, so I am not really trained either. The CEO will not pay for training, "The best training is hands on." So this will be a bit like the blind leading the deaf and dumb, but I really want to make it work so that I can use the success to move the company one more step later.

Now for the question, does anyone have, or know of a short set of slides that I could use to give an overview of the DMAIC process?

I realize that there are some strong feelings as to whether or not DMAIC is or is not the best method or if a named problem solving / continuous improvement process is even necessary. However, I need to start somewhere and this is where the CEO is letting me start, he has evened named the team the DMAIC team. Any help on how to give the team members some training on the process will be much appreciated.

AndyN

Moved On
Re: Quick and dirty trainning for team

Davis007:

Your boss isn't serious about this is he? He expects to spend no money on getting problems solved? What does he expect you to do? He spent the money to get into problems and now he wants a solution for free? It doesn't matter what tools you use, like all tools, not knowing how to use them effectively will not get you the results he wants.:nope:

May I suggest that the first place to look isn't at a set of slides (that's a bit like looking at pictures of garden tools and expecting to become a proficient gardener!!):rolleyes:

Why not ask him which specific issues he wants the team to work on and define those in terms of cost savings if fixed. Then, find out what problem solving training is available (my organization offers creative problem solving with DICorp) and turn it into a ROI figure - if we spend this $$ we will save $$$$$$$

Otherwise it's gonna fail................:notme:

D

davis007

Davis007:

Your boss isn't serious about this is he? He expects to spend no money on getting problems solved? What does he expect you to do? He spent the money to get into problems and now he wants a solution for free? It doesn't matter what tools you use, like all tools, not knowing how to use them effectively will not get you the results he wants.:nope:

Yes he is. Somtimes you have to show that somthing works before you can get aproval to pay for it. Not always the best situation but the one that I am in.

May I suggest that the first place to look isn't at a set of slides (that's a bit like looking at pictures of garden tools and expecting to become a proficient gardener!!):rolleyes:

That is not exactly the case here. While I will admit that I have no formal training on the process, I have spent a reasonable amount of time reading and educating myself. What I am looking for is a way to introduce the concepts and tools to others who may not have the time and or inclination to do any self teaching, but who will be a captive audiance as they have already been nominated as team members for this particular project. The first project at my company that actually has a team by the way.

Why not ask him which specific issues he wants the team to work on and define those in terms of cost savings if fixed. Then, find out what problem solving training is available (my organization offers creative problem solving with DICorp) and turn it into a ROI figure - if we spend this $$ we will save $$$$$$$

Otherwise it's gonna fail................:notme:

Well if I approached every thing beliving it would fail I guess I would never succeed. The CEO is difficult to get on board but once he is there is no stopping him. BUT YOU HAVE TO SHOW HIM WITH REAL RESULTS NOT EXPECTED OR WHAT IFS.

For example, we had no database here to track inventory, scrap produced, etc. I spent a lot of time over the last year trainning myself and others in how to use access to develop some databases to track and report on some key metrics. Items that before were typically best guesses at best. It works but is a bit clunky as I HAD NOT IDEA HOW TO EVEN START ACCESS WHEN I STARTED THIS EFFORT. After setting this up, showing him what the value was and how it would have been much better if a proffesional had done this he is now activly pushing and searching for a company to come in and design and or develop a database for our plant to build and improve/build on what I had done.

So I am in the same boat with Six Sigma/DMAIC/8-D etc. I know that it has a lot to offer us, I know that to get the most out of it we need training and guidance, but to get that I need to demonstrate a success, not on paper but actually on the floor.

B

Benjamin28

I have to disagree with you on this Andy, you offer excellent advice, and your analogy is appropriate.

However, there are plenty of us in this world who can look at a picture of a gardening tool, discern it's use, research it's application, apply it's use, and improve our techniques~without someone holding our hand. In some cases it will be a longer journey than if we had top notch training from proffessionals, but if the person is capable, the end result is the same.

DMAIC is the application of common sense, analytical technique, knowledge, trial/error, an appropriate resolution followed by improvement. Most of the quality tools available to us are easily self learned and even with the best training it takes time and application to refine our techniques for their use and become proficient.

Anyways, I applaud your efforts Davis...Andy is right, it would be great if you could obtain valid training. But it sounds as if this is not an option. You will want to research more than just a slideshow however, there is an abundance of literature available which you can take advantage of, either on the internet, at your local public library, or from other sources. I suggest you really hunker down and study up as you'll be leading this team you will be looked to for appropriate advice and guidance.

As for your team, I would instruct the same for them...flow down what you learn, encourage continuous feedback, etc. The important thing to remember, on any learning venture you will have success and error, take your lessons learned from both and don't give up if your first improvement actions/ideas do not succeed perfectly.

AndyN

Moved On
Well, maybe 'failure' was too harsh. My bad!

From your description, I'm still not convinced he's truely serious about this.........you had to expend that time, while the issues were costing his business money, then he decides to get help?

I don't doubt he needs to know it's going to work (I suspect he's leary of consultants etc.) but unless he is willing to make some kind of contribution to success, things will take too long to implement.

Since TIME = $$$$, the rate of change, that is the TIME taken to fix problems will not get the organization where he wants it to be quickly enough (for your customers, to keep you in front of the competition, or to keep ahead of the market).

Good Luck!

Andy

Z

Zuggy

Hi,
I agree with Mark the structural approach is a good method of problem solving. I have been trained in the methodology of 8-D and Mark has some great stuff here for resources. Therefor I suggest pay for the access to the private files.

As regarding the comments of management wanting a free solution, it can be a bit of a trap for a quality person. The carrot is placed out in front of you to learn and implement a new problem solving method. Then systems begin to get going and that is where the wheels start falling off the track. At that point money does begin to be evaluated; it is important to establish at the start some sort of ROI and establish a budget for it. It is amazing how fast management changes once large dollar become involved. It also important to show management that it is more costly to continue along the same path than changing. Change is scary.

Tim

BradM

Leader
Admin
After a long discussion with our CEO I was able to convince him that we need a more structured approach, to define the problems, focus the efforts at improvement, and measure the effectiveness of the solutions. He has proposed that we start with a particular problem that has plagued us for some time. He defined the team and told me to lead it.

What about PDSA? You can Google it and get some background. Is the particular problem your boss chose over your head/out of your league? Can you do it?

I'm saying; don't underestimate yourself. You don't have to have a bunch of letters after your name to be smart and resourceful to fix problems. But if it is out of your expertise, I might say so. But....

If you have time, go walk the floor, and ask some people what can be improved. Work up some numbers, run them by some objective people and present it. This is your low-lying fruit. Possibly see if you can present this.

Now the problem, no one here has any training of any kind, no SS, no 8-D, no 5-S, nothing. What I know I have learned online through forums like these, so I am not really trained either. The CEO will not pay for training, "The best training is hands on." So this will be a bit like the blind leading the deaf and dumb, but I really want to make it work so that I can use the success to move the company one more step later.

I guess I'm just sensing that your CEO wants a magic bullet theory. The research has continuously shown that two of the primary failures of TQM implementation was lack of support from top management, and America's insistence on short-term returns for something that takes long-term commitment.

You would not be getting training per se; you would be getting better tools to do the job. There's a big difference between learning the basics of effective quality tools and how to use them, and taking a class on the philosophy of quality or something.

If you want, go to the ASQ website, and download the BOK for the different certifications. This can give you a general feel for the areas.

I do realize your situation. But, management will need to acknowledge (now, or after a brief presentation) that money will need to be invested to get a return.

Top Bottom