Certificate of Conformity? Supplier incoming material inspection

L

ldq1979

We have supplier, for incoming material inspection, they rely on Certificate of Conformity and they say this method is permitted by Certification Boby.

But I am confuse about this kind of verification:

1, Why use such Certifiation of Conformity, it's just a declaration?
2, Supplier's outgoing inspection report can be regarded as a kind of ceritification of conformity?

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Certificate of Conformity?

We have supplier, for incoming material inspection, they rely on Certificate of Conformity and they say this method is permitted by Certification Boby.

But I am confuse about this kind of verification:

1, Why use such Certifiation of Conformity, it's just a declaration?
2, Supplier's outgoing inspection report can be regarded as a kind of ceritification of conformity?

If this was a Supplier that is Registered to AS9100, or even if your Company is AS9100, it requires that an independent analysis be performed to validate/verify that the analysis is what the Certificate of Conformance claims it is.

But, for CE marking, I can't help you here. It is not my expertise on subject matter. Maybe someone will be able to add something here.

Last edited:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Re: certificate of conformity?

Without knowing particulars about the product in question, I'm not sure if you will get the information you are looking for. That being said, here are some thoughts to consider.

Some commodity type products would add little to the value of the product or the process to spend a great deal of time inspecting beyond visual inspection along with making sure that the supplier certifies that all requirements of the PO have been met.

If a supplier sends certification, it is a legal document that says "I have met certain requirements."

If a supplier has a history of providing product meeting requirements, and the type of product is such that decreased inspection is appropriate, does this not help all involved in keeping costs down?

I truly do not know if any of this will help you, if not please provide us with more information. (Like, if you are talking medical devices I am sure that there are a lot more specifics to take into consideration than if you are purchasing aluminum foil.)

Q

Quali-Tee

Essentially for CE mark / medical devices, it comes down to risk assessment. You need to decide which bought in components/services could have a significant adverse effect on your product if not manufactured correctly.

For a significant component or service such as a sterilisation provider or a supplier who subcontract manufacturers the near finished device, registration to 13485 from a European notified body would be expected. This in turn would ensure that your supplier was using sufficient supplier controls on their suppliers.

A 'certificate of conformity' doesn't hold a lot of credibility on its own, but is probably OK for items of low risk and that can be visually checked upon receipt by the end user (you). Eg printed labels.
For higher risk items I would expect my suppliers to have their own supplier monitoring systems in place such as supplier audits, incoming inspection, certificates of analysis etc.

Top Bottom