FOD (Foreign Objects and Debris) and AS9100 compliance

S

silentrunning

Our company continues to explore the possibility of AS9100 certification. I have two questions that I would appreciate some insight on - First, what about food and drinks in the production area? It would seem that a FOD program would prohibit this. Second, what about grinding rooms being open to the production area. It seems that the dust caused by the grinders would be a real FOD hazard. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Our company continues to explore the possibility of AS9100 certification. I have two questions that I would appreciate some insight on - First, what about food and drinks in the production area? It would seem that a FOD program would prohibit this. Second, what about grinding rooms being open to the production area. It seems that the dust caused by the grinders would be a real FOD hazard. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

We have addressed these concerns at our workplace as follows:

1. No food or drink in the FOD Control or FOD Critical areas of the production floor. Period. They are foreign to the products and assemblies and can easily cause damage/malfunction of products or assemblies if spilled or dropped. Staff can transit through the production area with food and drink as long as they stay within the defined FOD Awareness zone (marked pathways that traverse certain areas of the floor). Food and drink can be consumed either outside or in the lunchrooms.

2. We have installed downdraft grinding tables and installed curtains around the grinding, milling and machining areas. This serves to control FOD as well as improve safety levels.

Last edited:
Top Bottom