Pull test standard? Wires coming off the electrodes at the weld

J

Jmcdonald870

Hello all,

I have a quick question. Where I work we build welding electrodes. Some of these electrodes have wires welded on them that have a J-plug attached.

Long story short, we have a customer that is having problems with our wires coming off the electrodes (at the weld). So, we had a meeting with the customer and it was decided we needed to do a random pull test on the parts. So, being the small machine shop we are, we built a homemade pull tester out of some alum and a fish scale. :lmao:

Now the customer is asking us what standard we use for this test? Is there a standard in place for our fish scale pull tester? Ive never seen a pull test standard.

The customer gave us a spec of 4.5 pounds. Is that our standard?

Big Mac

L

LMitschelen

Re: Pull test standard?

Hello all,

I have a quick question. Where I work we build welding electrodes. Some of these electrodes have wires welded on them that have a J-plug attached.

Long story short, we have a customer that is having problems with our wires coming off the electrodes (at the weld). So, we had a meeting with the customer and it was decided we needed to do a random pull test on the parts. So, being the small machine shop we are, we built a homemade pull tester out of some alum and a fish scale. :lmao:

Now the customer is asking us what standard we use for this test? Is there a standard in place for our fish scale pull tester? Ive never seen a pull test standard.

Big Mac
We have several pull test situations in our company involving electrical interconnects. I just did a quick review of our test procedures and saw no reference to industry, military or aerospace standards.

We treat the customer requirement as specification (minimum). The standard is the NIST-traceable weight(s) that we use to calibrate the pull test aparatus.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Hello all,

Big Mac
You may perhaps find a standard, but that must be suitable for your application and meet customer requirement as well. Looks like your customer has given you a spec and you can get started. If 4.5 lb is the retention force per wireweld you may have to set up your process with some safety factor added to the spec and VALIDATE that process. CALIBARATE the pull force measuring insrument before you conduct validation of the wireweld process.

Top Bottom