Definition Major vs. Minor Nonconformance (Finding) - Difference and Definition

D

Donald Duck

The question here: Practically, what is the primary difference between a major and minor non-conformance?

I can give the formal answers, may lots of words. But what is the most practical answer?

All experts here, any expertise?

Also, what is the best effective corrective action steps? 8D, or something else?

:thanx: :thanx: :thanx:

A

Al Dyer

Agree with Cleas's opinion that not discriminating between "major" and "minor" is the way to go. And with Barb in that internally, it is acceptable to define the terms yourself.

I myself also believe that the difference is too subjective to be unitarily defined in a manner that would really help and not just cause more banter on interpretation.

As an example, if I was auditing corrective actions and found 1 report had not been completed per procedure I would consider it a minor infraction. If I found multiple instances I would believe the system is broken and in need of "major" repair. Both would still require some type of corrective action.:bigwave:

Al...

D

David Hartman

Al Dyer said:
As an example, if I was auditing corrective actions and found 1 report had not been completed per procedure I would consider it a minor infraction. If I found multiple instances I would believe the system is broken and in need of "major" repair. Both would still require some type of corrective action.:bigwave:

Al...

Yes, but would they both require "root cause" corrective action? Herein is where we define the differences: A "minor" nonconformity - single incident (no impact on overall product conformity, or personnel health and safety) - Correction of the nonconformity is required, but no requirement for "root cause" corrective action. Example: A trained operator, with a current process before them, makes one error (misspelled word, a single paint run, a non-critical screw tightened to 20 in/oz in-lieu of the required 18 in/oz, etc.) out of numerous opportunities. The error is documented, root cause is determined as a single operator error, and the error/nonconformity is corrected. No further action is required.

A "major" nonconformity defined as either multiple/recurring "minor" incidents, or nonconformities that impact product quality/performance or personnel health and/or safety - requires full 8D process.
:bigwave:

S

SteelWoman

I think designating some findings "major" is a useful tool. Around here at least it gets people's attention. To my thinking, which admittedly is lacking on a Friday, a minor is exactly what was pointed out earlier - a single infraction among a crowd of compliances. An oversight. A major is a cluster (excuse the reference) - a group of all the same kind of findings across several areas OR a major breakdown of the system somewhere - something that is CLEARLY required and someone clearly knew they were supposed to be doing it and just didn't. In those cases I don't mind putting a "MAJOR" on it because it often serves as a wake-up call.

E

energy

Familiar Road

ddhartma said:
Example: A trained operator, with a current process before them, makes one error (misspelled word, a single paint run, a non-critical screw tightened to 20 in/oz in-lieu of the required 18 in/oz, etc.) out of numerous opportunities. The error is documented, root cause is determined as a single operator error, and the error/nonconformity is corrected. No further action is required.

Rut Roe....I can't believe my tired ole eyes. It's the system...It just has to be. Operator Error is totally unacceptable. Shame! Y'all have a nice weekend. :vfunny: :agree:

A

Al Dyer

Corrective action for the root cause:

Fire all the operators and the people that wrote the procedures. Save only those management personnel that dis-avow all knowledge of the system as it is. If they were informed, it would be different!!!!:bonk: :thedeal: :ca:

Al...

Randy

Super Moderator
Minor = Oops!

Major = Aw #&*%@(&)!!!!

Kinda what I've heard a time or two when I've found them :vfunny:

Courier

another day closer
Acceptable, Un-Acceptable, & Concern

As a internal auditor I dont state Major or Minor I use Acceptable, Un-Acceptable, & Concern. I would translate a Major and bad product being able to get out to the customer as Un-Acceptable, and i would translate a Minor as a brief procedure breaking a concern. Of course lack of Procedure is Un-Acceptable. As far as 8-D's goes they are good but we use what the customer wants us to for them. Its all in our CPARS. :biglaugh:

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
I'm with Dave here. We all have resource issues and can't fight every problem. Further, some detected issues are Common Cause issues and many of these are of the ‘minor’ problems variety. I think that it's helpful, albeit an inexact science, to bin things.

Top Bottom