Thread Gage Longevity Question

In General, about how long do you expect thread ring gages to last?

• Less than 1 year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Between 1 and 3 years

• Between 3 and 5 years

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Between 5 and 7 years

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Between 7 and 9 years

• Over 10 years

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
In your experience, about how long do thread ring gages last before needing replaced?

I know there are many factors such as how often they are used, how hard are they, do they get dropped, etc.

My question is 'in general, after XX years, I start looking to replace' or about how long until the gage does not calibrate proper any longer.

Last edited:

AndyN

Moved On
Re: Question regarding Thread gage longevity

In my experience it's what material they are being used to gauge. I had plugs wear out in a matter of months when gauging threads in stainless steel. The first turn and a half was trashed pretty quickly. Actually, a calibration program can't take care of dropping equipment,only predictable wear and tear.

IRONPOORER

Starting to get Involved

We have thread ring gauges that are probably 20-30 years old; if they are only used occasionally and are properly cared for they should last forever- especially the adjustable type

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource

Just to echo what has been said, the determining factors will be the frequency of use, and the material that they are used to verify.

I had gauges in use from the FIRST incarnation of a company (over 50 yrs) which were still perfectly good, but were used perhaps 10 times a year. In the same company, I had gauges that I would order in multiples, KNOWING that they would wear out quickly (frequent inspection of stainless steel).

Without knowing a lot more specifics about your particular usage, it would be very difficult to give any kind of a meaningful answer.

S

Sean Kelley

I agree with others here that you need to give more information.

What material are you measuring - plastic is much different than titanium?
How often are you using them - 1/hour, 1/day?
What are the gauges made from? Brass would not last long measuring stainless?
Also are the gages subject to operator damage such as dropping them.

You might consider a master gage tester to make sure it is working on a regular interval - verified daily, weekly whatever makes sense to you operation.

drgnrider

Quite Involved in Discussions
My biggest problems are the machinists that "adjust" them on the floor:censor: , Cast Iron, and Stainless Steel.

Just about have the machinist issue fixed. ISO-9001 stopped most of this, but still have a few "old dogs" who think they are above the system.

Can't do too much for the metals issue, just need to get people to take better care of the ring gages (cleaned before and after use, use both sides, etc.).

P

PFraser22

How about thread ring gages that are dirty is there anything one can do to clean aluminum from between the threads in the gage ?

Top Bottom