Differentiating between Process and Product Characteristics in Control Plans

C

charly

Process and Product Characteristics

Any body have a good rule of thumb for differentiating between process and product characteristisc in finished goods control plans?

Q

qualimanagain

Charly:

As far as I understand, process characteristics are properties taken from the machine where the finished good was produced, example: speed, pressure, temperature, reaction times, etc. and PRODUCT characteristics are properties or indicators related to the product or material, such as: dimensions, viscosity, hardness, weight, etc.

Normally the product KC's will be "tied" or linked to some of the process KC. If you do not control your process you would face problems with your product.

Hope to be helpful:

Qualiman

Tiikow

Starting to get Involved
Hello, I am very very late to the topic, but in the case of a masking operation that is done to a production in order to ensure that some areas are not painted. is the presence and correct positon of masking a process of product catactristic to control ? thanks

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Hello, I am very very late to the topic, but in the case of a masking operation that is done to a production in order to ensure that some areas are not painted. is the presence and correct positon of masking a process of product catactristic to control ? thanks
This would fall under a process control IMHO.

Tiikow

Starting to get Involved
This would fall under a process control IMHO.
thank you, but I didn't quite understand why. the masking is applied on the part, and will be part of the product all alonge the process change until removing it at the end of the painting process, why it is a process caracteristic ?

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
My experience is that "product" is about meeting drawing requirements or some other specification. This is usually a dimensional or feature presence check.
"Process" is everything else.

Tiikow

Starting to get Involved
My experience is that "product" is about meeting drawing requirements or some other specification. This is usually a dimensional or feature presence check.
"Process" is everything else.
Thank you, seems logic, and I will do the same.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
thank you, but I didn't quite understand why. the masking is applied on the part, and will be part of the product all alonge the process change until removing it at the end of the painting process, why it is a process caracteristic ?
@Johnnymo62 is essentially correct, but to more fully explain, process controls are everything that you control or monitor in your process to ensure that the product requirements are met. This can be process parameters such as time and temperature, but can also be ensuring the correct tooling is used, correct paints, correct masking materials/areas, etc. Your product controls would, after the mask is removed, be the correct areas painted/not painted, is there any masking residue left on the part, etc.

Last edited:

Tiikow

Starting to get Involved
@Johnnymo62 is essentially correct, but to more fully explain, process controls are everything that you control or monitor in your process to ensure that the product requirements are met. This can be process parameters such as time and temperature, but can also be ensuring the correct tooling is used, correct paints, correct masking materials/areas, etc. Your product controls would, after the mask is removed, are the correct areas painted/not painted, is there any masking residue left on the part, etc.
ok thanks, but the correct painting, with the correct paint are requirements that are mentioned on the drawing, would't be product caracteristics, sorry for turning arround again

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
You are over thinking it. Why does it really matter as long as the process settings, processing actions and drawing requirements are controlled.

Top Bottom