Integrating 3 System Standards - ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
This has probably been mentioned before, but I couldn't find a recent thread quickly, so please forgive me if this is redundant.

Does anyone have experience with integrating these three systems for registration? If so, what challenges did you face? How long did it take? How difficult was it to develop and implement?

Also, if one was used during the gap analysis, does anyone have a comparison chart or matrix that they might be willing to share?

Thanks in advance. :bigwave:

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Re: Integrating 3 Systems - ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001/2

This has probably been mentioned before, but I couldn't find a recent thread quickly, so please forgive me if this is redundant.

Does anyone have experience with integrating these three systems for registration? If so, what challenges did you face? How long did it take? How difficult was it to develop and implement?

Also, if one was used during the gap analysis, does anyone have a comparison chart or matrix that they might be willing to share?

While with my previous employer, I led the integration of ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001, ISRS, Sarbanes-Oxely and our own business standards into a Business Management System that was outlined via PDCA.

The key was creating a matrix that PDCA on one axis and all the standards along the other. I then showed how they aligned...sometimes a clause was broken up. Oh well, it was our system...not the auditors. :cool: The matrix, however, came in handy for audits, as well, at keeping them on track.

It took about 1.5 years to successfully document.

We also had different registrars. One for 9/14 - and a different one for ISRS. The other standards were our "voluntary" standards.

somashekar

Leader
Admin

How difficult was it to develop and implement?
Development was easy, but in the implementing., getting everyone to see everything from a three dimension perspective was our most challenging task. It still continues to be.

harry

Trusted Information Resource

................ does anyone have a comparison chart or matrix that they might be willing to share? .......................

If you start with ISO 9001 and then progressed to ISO 14001, you will find the comparison table in Annex B of ISO 14001 useful. If you moved to OHSAS 18001 next, you will find the comparison table of the 3 in Annex A of OHSAS 18001 useful too.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator

Development was easy, but in the implementing., getting everyone to see everything from a three dimension perspective was our most challenging task. It still continues to be.

I disagree...we did not sell it as multiple perspectives. We said this is us...this is what we do. Forget the standards. We do this because it makes sense.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions

I have done a few of these now and to be honest, they are no big deal. I have attached a cross reference that may be of use.

I always start with ISO 9001 as that gives the structure and then add the other bits as required.

As you will know, there are many common elements so they can be done together.

My latest challenge has been 9001, 18001 and 27001 for a clinic that perform spinal surgery, overseas. Now this has been quite tough but we just had the stage 1 last week and came out with 5 observations so I am happy with that.

Attachments

• Cross Reference Between ISO 9001.pdf
    46.9 KB · Views: 856

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

I disagree...we did not sell it as multiple perspectives. We said this is us...this is what we do. Forget the standards. We do this because it makes sense.
Simple, short, but hugely insightful. If one "forgets the standards", they have their business processes to deal with.

The epiphany that most organizations never have is the fact that you have to "adequate" your business processes to the requirements of standards one ascribes to.

The "trick" for meaningful, sustainable and value added conformity with standards is to focus on the BUSINESS PROCESSES and adjust them so, the requirements of standards are fulfilled, not the other way around that many organizations try unsuccessfully.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin

Gidget,

Combining ISO 9001, 14001 and OHSAS into an integrated system should not be that difficult compared to ISO 9001 and 13485 as it deals with a different mindset and culture.

Some of the existing threads on related subject could be found here -

Integrated Systems Assessment for ISO 9001 / ISO 14001 / BS OHSAS 18001

Combined ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 Manual and System

GAP Analysis for an ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 system

somashekar

Leader
Admin

If only I can understand better what you mean, I am sure you would not be really in disagreement with me ~~~

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions

By way of an example, the attached list shows the procedures we developed for the organisation. They are a construction firm with around 250 employees and they also have a woodworking shop and they do electrical installation too.

The 'top tier' manual has 16 pages.

Attachments

• Index to Procedures.docx
    13.9 KB · Views: 347
Top Bottom