Metrics for Evaluating Design process

S

sxbalasu

Dear Friends:
I am developing metrics for measuring every process in our company and also set objectives so that i can use my corrective and preventive action system to help me in continuous improvement. We are an OEM and we make lot of design changes. Will that can be a good metric for measuring the design process like number of eco's raised per product per month or per product per year? Are anybody use any other metric? Throw some light on this please.
thanks
siva
:thanx:

Geoff Cotton

Quite Involved in Discussions
We also measure:

Samples on Time to Customer Required Date,
Job#1 On Time to Customer Required Date,
PPM within the first 12 months of the product launch.

Q

quasi_black_belt

Ideally

If I had my druthers, I would establish enterprise wide metrics for additional things (beyond ECO churn) for example:
- Sigma level roll up of the sigma levels of all CTQ/CTF electrical and mechanical parameters (theory being, if Design for Six Sigma / Design for variation is used, it should be reflected in consistent achievement of target Sigma levels of all CTQs/CTFs)
- Mean bug count per program (may be different from ECOs, not all bugs result in ECOs)
- Integral of bugs over the time from first simulation to first customer ship (can also go out into sustaining or even EOL, if bugs counted are limited to ones which existed prior to first ship and not introduced by sustaining ECOs)
- Time lost to FARCCA activity or, FARCCA spending prior to product launch
- Cost of maturity and EOL phase quality attributable to design mistakes / specification waivers
- Rate of reliability growth
- % of customer needs achieved at product release (need to revisit QFD flow down and plug actual measured values and feature attainment back in)
- Etc

Rgds,

Mark

Top Bottom