Verification of purchased product - EN 9100 7.4.3

A

Angelika

I have problems in understanding the following requirement:

"Where the organization utilizes test reports to verify purchased product, the data in those reports shall be acceptable per applicable specification.
The organization shall periodically validate test reports for raw material."

Can anyone help me with an example as to how validating test reports for raw material, please?

Hoping for your help since I have to issue a hand-out for an EN 9100 training and need to explain the different requirements.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Angelika said:
I have problems in understanding the following requirement:

"Where the organization utilizes test reports to verify purchased product, the data in those reports shall be acceptable per applicable specification.
The organization shall periodically validate test reports for raw material."

Can anyone help me with an example as to how validating test reports for raw material, please?

Hoping for your help since I have to issue a hand-out for an EN 9100 training and need to explain the different requirements.
Periodically send the material for an independent analysis. Compare the analysis to the analysis of your supplier.

L

lgibson

Re: EN 9100 7.4.3 Verification of purchased product

Is sending out a sample of metal/alloy to an independent lab the only way to validate a test report? How about comparing the the certifiied test report from the supplier to the standard?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

My company is trying to resist the expense of testing by a lab, even though our registrar auditor suggested this during a preliminary audit to AS9100.

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource

Comparing the certifiied test report from the supplier to the standard is verification and must be done for all received materials.

Sending the raw material to a test lab is not expensive.

If you are in the aerospace business, that is part of the cost of doing business.

Danny

L

lgibson

Thanks, Danny.

Perhaps your reply will help me get this issue moving ahead.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator

Hi, lgibson.:bigwave:

lgibson said:
How about comparing the the certifiied test report from the supplier to the standard?
That would be doing this part: "Where the organization utilizes test reports to verify purchased product, the data in those reports shall be acceptable per applicable specification."

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Is sending out a sample of metal/alloy to an independent lab the only way to validate a test report? How about comparing the the certifiied test report from the supplier to the standard?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

My company is trying to resist the expense of testing by a lab, even though our registrar auditor suggested this during a preliminary audit to AS9100.

I think I've probably mentioned this here before, but I used to work for a place where customers sometimes wanted test reports to be notarized.. A new employee asked the operations VP what it meant for a document to be notarized. The reply was, "It means that one person lies, and another one swears to it."
The purpose of validation in this case is to provide independent confirmation that the seller is telling the truth, and you can't use his own declarations as objective evidence. Look at it this way: The standard, and by extension your customer, is asking "How do you know that the test report from your supplier is accurate?" You can't answer the question by saying, "Because the supplier says it is."

L

lgibson

Thanks to everyone for their input. It will greatly help me in my efforts to get my company to get with the program.:frust:

Does anyone have any suggestions on testing labs and how much testing is required? The test reports we get with the raw metal are tensil, composition, yield, elongation.

By the way, The Cove has been the best source of information to help me with almost any problem/situation that arises. THANKS TO EVERYONE!!!!!

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Thanks to everyone for their input. It will greatly help me in my efforts to get my company to get with the program.:frust:
Sometimes I print threads to bring to meetings with me - or I email the link to a specific thread to my boss. I think this is the reason that they do not mind that I visit during work hours (smilies and all :D ) - I show them how much it helps me.

lgibson said:
Does anyone have any suggestions on testing labs and how much testing is required? The test reports we get with the raw metal are tensil, composition, yield, elongation.
The lab we use is local - they charge us $129.00 to test a coupon. We make just about everything from bar stock so we send a 1/4" long slug.

lgibson said:
By the way, The Cove has been the best source of information to help me with almost any problem/situation that arises. THANKS TO EVERYONE!!!!!
Me too!!!:agree:

Top Bottom