Color Coding of Tools for 5S - The Visual Workplace

P

palmer

We have recently installed tool boards on our machines and want to carry the visual workplace one step further by color coding our tools.

Do you know of any products out there that we can use to this? We tried painting with a direct-to-metal paint but the chrome on the tools is too slick and the paint peels off. Roughing of the paint area on the tools to get better seal of the paint didn't work either and the parts washer (which uses biodegradable fluid) makes it come off.

We are trying heat shrink tubing from the electronics industry but it has to have a 3 to 1 shrink to fit over the wrench heads and we can't find enough color combinations in short (6") pieces only in 48" long pieces which cost too much.

The parts washer fluid even removes the "black" coating on some of the tools that we have (I assume this some kind of anodizing).

We have standard and metric hand wrenches, allen wrenches, socket sets, hammers, crescent wrenches, etc...standard type tools. We would like to do this with the shop brooms and shovels, etc....

Any ideas or previous experience with this type of application? We etched the machine numbers on the tools but you have to actually walk up and look at the tool to see it. This way you see from afar by the color coding what tool goes where and if a tool is on another machine you see it and be to ask why it is in the wrong location. Does that area need that type of tool too or did they loose their tool and "borrow" it from another machine.

By installing the tool boards we decreased small tool spending in a 6 month period by $21,000 and want to take our 5S and Lean to new levels.

Ideas?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Color coding of tools for 5S

We have recently installed tool boards on our machines and want to carry the visual workplace one step further by color coding our tools.

Do you know of any products out there that we can use to this? We tried painting with a direct-to-metal paint but the chrome on the tools is too slick and the paint peels off. Roughing of the paint area on the tools to get better seal of the paint didn't work either and the parts washer (which uses biodegradable fluid) makes it come off.

We are trying heat shrink tubing from the electronics industry but it has to have a 3 to 1 shrink to fit over the wrench heads and we can't find enough color combinations in short (6") pieces only in 48" long pieces which cost too much.

The parts washer fluid even removes the "black" coating on some of the tools that we have (I assume this some kind of anodizing).

We have standard and metric hand wrenches, allen wrenches, socket sets, hammers, crescent wrenches, etc...standard type tools. We would like to do this with the shop brooms and shovels, etc....

Any ideas or previous experience with this type of application? We etched the machine numbers on the tools but you have to actually walk up and look at the tool to see it. This way you see from afar by the color coding what tool goes where and if a tool is on another machine you see it and be to ask why it is in the wrong location. Does that area need that type of tool too or did they loose their tool and "borrow" it from another machine.

By installing the tool boards we decreased small tool spending in a 6 month period by $21,000 and want to take our 5S and Lean to new levels.

Ideas?

Anodize. Expensive, but lasts. I found this.

NOTE: I am not associated with this organization.

Stijloor.

D

Dean Frederickson

We tried the spray can type and peeled right off in the parts washer.:mg:

You need to use the dipping type not the spray can type.:cool:
I have used this before it lasts quite a long time and is relatively inexpensive.

P

palmer

I have used this before it lasts quite a long time and is relatively inexpensive.

Good point on the dippable compared to the spray. I can say, from experience, the spray type SUCKS!:eek:

I need to find it through one of our suppliers. Trying to set up a new supplier....SUCKS!:mg:

Must be my word for the day.

I've seen the type that you have to heat to get it liquid for dipping but not the type you recommended. I'll have to see if it is available through our current resources.

D

Desara01

And a belated thank you to a US Veteran - I'm an AF brat, Dad was a highly decorated fighter pilot and I'm as patriotic as they come. So thanks again.

P

palmer

Does it hide the size of the tool, like on a wrench? Or is it applied thin enough to keep it from covering the tool size? Do you cover the entire tool except the working part or just cover a small section of the tool?:confused:

Top Bottom