Nadcap parts: Cert. of Conformance (more than just the spec.)

D

David Johnson

I would like your opinion if you are a Quality Professional (ex: quality engineer, quality manager, lead auditor, registrar, and specially a Nadcap certified company).

Recently, one of our clients was critisized because the Certificate of Conformance issued with their processed parts (chemical processing) referenced more than just "meeting the manufacturing specification" stated on the purchase order.

The COC stated conformance to the (1) manufacturing specification, AND (2) AS9100 and Nadcap Chemical Processing requirements and (3) other customer specific requirement which were part of (3a) the P.O. and (3b) their supplier approval with that customer.

I consider that all of these (1 through 3b) are important as they all effect the expectations and contractual obligations between the supplier and the customer. The manufacturing spec and all other contractual obligations together govern the quality control.

Should a COC be specific only the the manufacturing specifiction as referenced in the P.O., or is it not also important to state conformance to all of the other customer specific requirements (such as other customer specific requirements beyond the spec., AS9100, Nadcap, etc.)? Feel free to elaborate. Thank you! David

Last edited by a moderator:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I would like your opinion if you are a Quality Professional (ex: quality engineer, quality manager, lead auditor, registrar, and specially a Nadcap certified company).

Recently, one of our clients was critisized because the Certificate of Conformance issued with their processed parts (chemical processing) referenced more than just "meeting the manufacturing specification" stated on the purchase order.

The COC stated conformance to the (1) manufacturing specification, AND (2) AS9100 and Nadcap Chemical Processing requirements and (3) other customer specific requirement which were part of (3a) the P.O. and (3b) their supplier approval with that customer.

I consider that all of these (1 through 3b) are important as they all effect the expectations and contractual obligations between the supplier and the customer. The manufacturing spec and all other contractual obligations together govern the quality control.

Should a COC be specific only the the manufacturing specification as referenced in the P.O., or is it not also important to state conformance to all of the other customer specific requirements (such as other customer specific requirements beyond the spec., AS9100, Nadcap, etc.)? Feel free to elaborate. Thank you! David

Can someone with this expertise help David?

Thank you very much!!

Stijloor.

S

SvanRaay

I have worked at chemical processing houses most of my life.....but dont let that trick you into thinking I know what I am doing.

Without actually seeing the CofC you mentioned to review the verbiage, I would say they are going a bit overboard. They should be certifying the work done and anything spelled out by the PO or the plating specification (first article requirement, source inspection, actual thickness range, embrittlement relief times and temps), but the quality system definately does not need to be there.

the reference to Nadcap and AS9100 should be more of an advertisement on their certs (proudly proclaiming that the facility meets the requirements of these fine groups) but not necessarily certifying the parts to those requirements.

Top Bottom