ISO 31000 - Enterprise Risk Management Standard

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Most organizations have a very diversified risk portfolio. Unknown by most Covers, ISO 31000 is being developed to address a comprehensive and holistic approach to Risk Management. Scheduled for a 2009 release.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Is this similar to business continuity planning/management? Any relationship with PAS 56:2003?

Attachments

• dilbertriskmang.gif
    dilbertriskmang.gif
    14.5 KB · Views: 980
I

ISOgal2

Is this similar to business continuity planning/management? Any relationship with PAS 56:2003?

Not to mention ISO 27000, and in particular the proposed ISO 27005 security risk management standard, which has been on the table for a long time.

This is rather confusing, isn't it. :confused:

I

ISOgal2

I went searching Google on this topic. It looks like I am not the only one who is confused by the numbering here.

I wonder if there is anyone on here who can clear up some of these matters, or maybe someone who has a contact within ISO. I'd really like to know how ISO 31000 relates to the 27000 series in particular given that they are both at the heart of risk management.

Is there anyone within ISO who might be prepared to respond on this I wonder? I don't expect so, but I am more than happy to contact them and report back if anyone has a name.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I wonder if there is anyone on here who can clear up some of these matters, or maybe someone who has a contact within ISO. I'd really like to know how ISO 31000 relates to the 27000 series in particular given that they are both at the heart of risk management.

Is there anyone within ISO who might be prepared to respond on this I wonder? I don't expect so, but I am more than happy to contact them and report back if anyone has a name.
You can try
Nicki Dennis
Head of Market Development
Risk, Quality, Health & Safety, Security & Fire
British Standards Institution
[email protected]

I agree that that ISO 31000 is not clearly defined, but to me, most ISO Standards deal with specific sub-sets of risk. For example, 27000 deals with risks associated with information security, 14000 deals with environmental risks, 28000 deals with supply chain security risks.

The risk portfolio of each organization is unique. The little that I found out about ISO 31000 is an attempt to address the risk portfolio, in a holistic and balanced manner. Others, including my current employer, refer to this as Enterprise Risk Management. Helping organizations understand their risk exposures and improve the balance between risk adversity and conscious risk taking. I hope that is the direction ISO 31000 gets developed.

I

ISOgal2

Thanks for that. I will follow it up and post back if I find anything further.

It does sound like your perspective is probably correct. It would be nice to have confirmation though.

Thanks again.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
The opposition to the development of ISO 31000 has started:

A formal international risk management standard is "undesirable" and would not be of any benefit to businesses, according to the Federation of European Risk Management Associations (FERMA).
Read more...

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
I realize that this isn't the latest draft, but the committee draft of ISO 31000 is still available for download from NSAI here: http://web.archive.org/web/20071221...ds/file/N047_Committee_Draft_of_ISO_31000.pdf

The committee draft of ISO/IEC Guide 73 (Risk Management – Vocabulary) is also available here: http://web.archive.org/web/20071221.../N048_Committee_Draft_of_ISO_IEC_Guide_73.pdf

Both are linked from this page: http://web.archive.org/web/20071221...area/news/action/article/information/ISO31000

Last edited:
Top Bottom