Product Shipment without Signed PSW - Customer does not provide signed PSW to us

D

Deb Lenard

My company received an audit nonconformance from our ISO/TS 16949 registrar for shipment of product to a customer without evidence of PSW approval for PPAP covering the product. Several of our customers require PPAP and PSW, however, do not provide signed PSW to us (they have even indicated that they will not return PSWs). Note: Some of these customers do not have supplier quality requirements that define PPAP requirements. Therefore, our approach is to use customer purchase order for the product as acceptance of our product PPAPs.

I'm curious in how others manage that lack of signed PSWs from their customers. Do you utilize the P.O. approach as acceptance, hold product shipments until signed PSW is received, etc.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
Re: Product Shipment without Signed PSW

This arises time and again.
What does the NC actually say as I am not sure that the standards says the PSW must be approved

7.3.6.3 Product approval process
The organization shall conform to a product and manufacturing process approval procedure recognized by the customer.

D

Deb Lenard

Nonconformance was written as "The organization shall conform to product and manufacturing process approval procedure recognized by the customer".

The auditor would not accept our argument that the customer P.O. for the PPAPd device was evidence of acceptance in lieu of a signed PSW.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Nonconformance was written as "The organization shall conform to product and manufacturing process approval procedure recognized by the customer".

The auditor would not accept our argument that the customer P.O. for the PPAPd device was evidence of acceptance in lieu of a signed PSW.

It is fairly common practice that some Customers do not return the PSW.
Also, the Customer makes the call on PPAP requirements.

7.3.6.3 Product approval process
The organization shall conform to a product and manufacturing process approval procedure recognized by the customer.
So, if both you and the customer have agreed that the PO is evidence of acceptance, then you're OK.

Appeal the nonconformity written by your auditor!!

Stijloor.

A

Al Dyer

Deb,

I was going to respond differently but you thankfully wrote:

"Nonconformance was written as "The organization shall conform to product and manufacturing process approval procedure recognized by the customer".

"The auditor would not accept our argument that the customer P.O. for the PPAPd device was evidence of acceptance in lieu of a signed PSW."

Were your practices evidenced in the initial audit? I mean, was it stated that a P.O. was evidence of all contract approval?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Your process was not clearly defined and you got hammered for it.

Al...

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

I think it is not a ncn: you have demonstrated to have a process in place ( I do not know if it is document,but this is not important, the important is to follow) and you showed the evidence of P.O.
PSW is a part of PPAP according to AIAG Blue Book, if you have another procedure agreed with customer ( this is the key point), you are ok and compliant.
Check this and let us known
:bigwave:

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
I cannot find in the PPAP handbook that the PSW MUST be signed by the customer.

GM even says
"5.3.1 Approved – Approved PPAP status indicates the part meets all customer requirements per the design record. The GQTS system will reflect an Approved status."
Which means that they DO NOT need to sign, Ford says similar.

Ask your customer if he requires the signature,!

As said before check what your procedures say.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
These are the kind of "findings" that completely blow the credibilty of the system. Your customer determines how they approve parts -- not you nor the auditor. If they don't want to sign a PSW, then they don't. No way you can force it. It is certainly reasonable that the po issued for the parts means they have been approved. I'd challenge it.

On the other hand, forgeting ISO, these days it may be a good idea to have some sort of formal documented approval. At a min, just a sign off on the dimensional layout. It is just a good business practice. Years will go by and the people you currently deal with will be gone. An issue will arise and you'll have no proof. Been there, done that. Good luck.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
For the benefit of old crocks like me who detest acronyms and for newbies who are saying, "What in hell is a PSW?"
PSW = Part Submission Warrant

Howard posted a sample one years ago here

D

Deb Lenard

Thanks everyone for your replies. I followed up with our site where the nonconformance was issued and found that process of PO as PPAP acceptance (where agreed with customers in lieu of signed PSW) was not documented. We will be creating procedure to cover all bases for PPAP approval and hopefully avoid future nonconformances in this area.

Top Bottom