CQE or CQA - Which one is better in terms of career progress

A

armaan

Hello All,

Again asking for help, i finished my bachelor of mechanical engineering and master in industrial engineering.

Presently i am working in quality field, succesfully implemented ISO 9001:2000, also completed course of lead auditor...

Now would like to move forward in my career and wants to achieve one certification from ASQ....which one is better in terms of career progress CQE or CQA..

Thanks for your suggestion.

K

Kevin H

Re: CQE or CQA - Which one is better in terms of career progress CQE or CQA

Armaan, from your description of your career to date I have the impression that you're near the beginning of your career. My personal opinion is that the CQE would probably open more doors than the CQA. From all I've heard, it's a harder test. (I've taken the CQA and Mgr. of Quality/Org. Exc. tests and have passed both.) Every time I've started to prep for the CQE, life has gotten in the way :rolleyes: The only caveat would be if you want to concentrate on auditing as a career path. If you do, then the CQA would be a better step. If you already have an ISO 9001 lead auditor certificate from RABQMS, then the CQA becomes a bit superflous. If your auditing course is for internal auditing, then CQA and then ISO 9001 lead auditor (or whatever quality system is appropriate for you interests AS9100, ISO 13485, etc,) would be more appropriate.

Good luck on your decision and career.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator

Either one can lead to management so as far as that it really doesn't matter. I passed both the CQA and CQE. CQE was way harder.
Why not do both? I've held jobs where I've been QA Manager/Engineer/Auditor so they are complimentary.

If you can only take one, o the surface the CQE is more "impressive" as it's a harder test.
Plus, if the lead auditor course will lead to RABQSA certification the ASQ cert may be redundant.

If you plan on doing both, I'd recommend CQA first to get the feel of the was ASQ exams work. It should be a cakewalk for someone who participated or led and ISO9000 implementation.

R

ralphsulser

Take the CQE to augment the engineering degrees you already have achieved. With these you will be able to go anywhere and name your own salary and your on your way to senior management. Of course you have to get along with people and accomplish something. I don't mean this as any negative reflection on you, but I once worked with a guy who got his MBA from Fordham and then he thought all he had to do was boss people around because they were inferior to him. Maybe that was why he was 34 years old and still lived at home with his parents.

A

armaan

Thank you very much to all of you, I am bit confused as first answer says CQE, then CQA and one say do both.......

But i hope that through this discussion i will find my way, i will go for both exam but which one i have to do first, i also know that CQE is hard, by the way i also passed CQIA.

Once again thank you to all of you ..

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator

Hello All, Again asking for help, i finished my bachelor of mechanical engineering and master in industrial engineering. Presently i am working in quality field, succesfully implemented ISO 9001:2000, also completed course of lead auditor...Now would like to move forward in my career and wants to achieve one certification from ASQ....which one is better in terms of career progress CQE or CQA..Thanks for your suggestion.

From the initial post I understand that you should be in the beginning of your career.
The good news is that you are already thinking about career progression by exploring certification in quality field. I have known only a very few who have this kind of aggression. Not so good news is that you may not be eligible yet to sit in either of the exam. Even with Master’s degree you will still need 3 years of experience covering the BOK and Decision making position.
http://www.asq.org/certification/quality-engineer/right-for-you.html
http://www.asq.org/certification/quality-auditor/right-for-you.html

If you did not qualify for either of those exams, you have 2 choices:
Quality Process Analyst Certification and/or Quality Improvement Associate Certification – CQIA. For these certifications, the experience is fully waived based on your education background. I would have recommended CQPA for your background rather than CQIA. Preparing and passing this exam will give you adequate foundation when you plan to write CQE later once you are eligible. Given that you already have lead assessor training/certification, CQA will be a good addition to enhance your knowledge on Audit Management. However CQE is is a better choice for career progression (for your situation).
Regards,
Govind.

A

armaan

From the initial post I understand that you should be in the beginning of your career.
The good news is that you are already thinking about career progression by exploring certification in quality field. I have known only a very few who have this kind of aggression. Not so good news is that you may not be eligible yet to sit in either of the exam. Even with Master’s degree you will still need 3 years of experience covering the BOK and Decision making position.
http://www.asq.org/certification/quality-engineer/right-for-you.html
http://www.asq.org/certification/quality-auditor/right-for-you.html

If you did not qualify for either of those exams, you have 2 choices:
Quality Process Analyst Certification and/or Quality Improvement Associate Certification – CQIA. For these certifications, the experience is fully waived based on your education background. I would have recommended CQPA for your background rather than CQIA. Preparing and passing this exam will give you adequate foundation when you plan to write CQE later once you are eligible. Given that you already have lead assessor training/certification, CQA will be a good addition to enhance your knowledge on Audit Management. However CQE is is a better choice for career progression (for your situation).
Regards,
Govind.

Thank You Govind,

Just to let you know that i already passed CQIA and also have 3 years of workhome from back, so i am eligible for both of the exam. So what do you think CQE or CQA.

Thanks Again

F

fireonce

I think it depends your interest.

A

armaan

I think it depends your interest.

I understand that finally i have to take the decesion and i will take, but it always good to ask the opinion of some industry experts as they have lots of experience.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

Okay, here's your opinion from an industry expert (naw, just kidding--"expert" is rather a reach for me I guess).

The advice about suiting your interest is the best so far.

Here's the fact of it all: The roles of a quality engineer and quality auditor are often fundamentally different. Quality engineering is technically based, and auditing is largely people-oriented.

That said, both skills can help the other job's performance. People skills can help a quality engineer get things done because the people element is usually involved in some way. The engineering knowledge helps an auditor understand what he/she is looking at and how things could be improved.

I've had CQE and CQA certifications for several years (recently expired) and am presently auditing quality, environmental and safety systems. The technical aspect of engineering helps a great deal, but I think the people aspect of auditing makes the work more appealing than quality engineering would be.

It's hard to shine when you are not in the right line of work. I would find it hard to advance if I am not doing the work that's right for me, and thus perform well enough to get noticed and grow into management. You should decide what type of work would best suit you, so you can grow into the level you seek. It's not necessarily a logical decision; your emotions and temperament are more important than a linear-looking career path.
:2cents:

Last edited:
Top Bottom