Online courses and Internet Explorer - The Slowdown and ActiveX

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
From /.:
/. said:
eggegick writes "My wife has taken a number of college courses over the last three years and many of the classes used on-line materials rather than books. The problem was these required IE along with Java, Active X and/or various plug-ins (the names of which escapes me), and occasionally I'd have to tweak our firewall to allow these apps to run. I don't think any of these training apps would work with Firefox. All of this made me cringe from a security point of view. Myself, I use just use Firefox, No-Script, our external firewall and common sense when using the web. I have a very old windows 2000 machine that I keep up to date. To my knowledge I've never had a virus or malware problem. Her computer is a relatively new XP machine, and this point she feels here computer has something wrong. But now she prefers to use my old machine instead of hers since it seems to be more responsive. We plan to run the recovery disk on hers. Assuming the college course work applications were part of the cause, what recommendations do any of you have when having to run this kind of software? Is there a VMware solution that would work — that is have a Windows image that is used temporarily for the course work and then discarded at the end of the semester (and how do you create such an image, and what does it cost?)."

Read more... (Note: /. is known for 'rough' content...)

Top Bottom