SPC training games - Basic training for manufacturing shop-floor guys and engineers

D

Dave W 2005

I'm just about to provide some basic training for manufacturing shop-floor guys and engineers in control charting and process capability.
Does anybody have any short 'fun' game ideas that I can use to help reinforce this learning?

A

Atul Khandekar

Quincunx

Dave,

I have developed a computer based Quincunx SPC Simulator software that you can use to teach and learn through experiment, the basic concepts of how and why SPC works. It covers variation, process shifts, control charts, histogram and process capability.

The Quincunx SPC Simulator can be used in training to cover basic SPC topics, such as common versus special cause variation and a variety of other topics such as to demonstrate the variability in estimates of Cpk, to help discuss inferential methods, and to demonstrate how the power to detect a critical shift increases as sample size increases. The simulator has proved to be an excellent tool for training of personnel in SPC basics.

For more details please visit:
http://www.symphonytech.com/quincunx.htm

You can also download a Shareware Version from my site.

Regards,
-Atul.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I'm old school. I bypass the games and get right to the cattle prod! :thedeal:

R

Rick Goodson

Dave,

I don't have a specific game to offer, but you might consider the concept.

I try to find something of common interest to the group. In Wisconsin football works well. You can use game results and published information on teams and players to 'predict' outcomes. In many cases my participants are using basic statistics when they talk about games and player stats but don't realize it.

D

Dave W 2005

The software will be fine for a lab environment, I'm looking for a nice hands on type of thing.
Being based in the UK, football means something completely different and our soccer and statistics don't make good bedfellows! - but I like the association of using something that will be of interest to the average guy.
You've got me thinking.

A

Atul Khandekar

You could probably use Cricket in the UK.
Unfortunately, all the 'statistics' I can think of is average and strike rate!:)

B

Brian Dowsett

Dave,
I always used a packet of drinking straws and some cheap scissors. We start off cutting one inch lengths by eye and measuring on a rule.
I then prompted the group to use each previous length cut as a marker for the next. Then progressed to measuring a perfect inch and used that as the marker. This data was all plotted onto charts, initially showing a wide variation, then improving the variation but not the setting, then finally having good setting and low variation.
We even sometimes progressed onto a simple assessment of gauge variation and introduced a better gauge than the rule.

Hope that helps...

Brian

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
Originally posted by Atul Khandekar
You could probably use Cricket in the UK.
Unfortunately, all the 'statistics' I can think of is average and strike rate!:)

You are selling the game short, go to www.cricket.org/ and at the bottom of the page you have a database full of statistics.

D

Darius

I tink like Brian, there are games that can be a good example of variation, distribution and continuos improvement.

:vfunny: For example, put a line (tape) a few feets away and make all the participants to trow coins to that line (closer => better), you could even reduce variation getting closer to the line, using coins of the same size or changing the trow position.

Another example is to take the time of each of the participants doing some activity like assembling and disassembling something (it must be ease but not much to do it on more than 20 seconds).

I tink that the use of data produced by them themselves could be of great help.

:bigwave:

A

Andrei Viorel - 2009

SPC/SQC training

I have some experience in training direct force people in training for statistic.s There are several possibilities to attack this problem. But, first of all you must decide what is the educational level of your peoples in this field. You can train them, but, do not neglect the education.

The key is to aware in Sherwart spirit: "A phenomenon will be said to be controlled when, through the use of past experience, we can predict, at least within limits, how the phenomenon will vary in the future" as said Shewhart long time ago. Therefore, in order to better win the hearts and minds of others and to encourage them to enjoy the benefits of Shewhart's creation, Dr. Donald J. Wheeler propose to use a new terminology. For example, instead of Statistical Process Control, to speak about Continual Improvement.

I’m in train to redesign my training strategy for direct force as follows:
Statistics
Variation for everybody
Sampling for everybody
Data collection for every body
Mean value
Variation
Standard Deviation
Range
Coefficient of Variance
Understanding trend
Estimation