Final Year Project: Practical Statistical Process Control - Where & how to start?

V

Vivalau

Hi,

I am currently a part time undergraduate student doing my Bachelor of degree in Industrial Management Engineering. This is my final year and my final year project is on topic Practical Statistical Process Control and I need to write a thesis at the end of the project for submission. My synopsis of the project is as following:

Engineers usually learn standard techniques of statistical process control from formal courses and textbooks. In industry the situation is often not textbook-perfect; situations concerning requirements related to sample size, independence, randomness and so on, may or may not be satisfied. This project aims to reconcile, using actual data where possible, textbook requirement and actual industrial situations and arrive at conclusions concerning the robustness of various common procedures in Statistical Process Control.

I have problem where to start and what are the topic that I should be doing in SPC as SPC can be a broad topic to be discussed on. I have no experience with doing SPC so really need advice.

Many thanks if someone can give me some advice. Thanks

Vivian

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Practical Statistical Process Control

.................. This project aims to reconcile, using actual data where possible, textbook requirement and actual industrial situations and arrive at conclusions concerning the robustness of various common procedures in Statistical Process Control..............

Welcome Vivian,

Based on your post, you will need to use actual industrial data - am I right?

If that is the case, your scope will be very much determined by the kind of data that you can find or obtain for your studies. If I am in your position, I would ask myself first, what is my area of interest? From there, I will work to find the organization(s) which can provide me with the 'raw data' necessary for my work. Apart from the academic staffs of your faculty, you may need help from your 'alumni' or seniors.

V

Vivalau

Re: Practical Statistical Process Control

Hi Harry,

Yes I would need industrial data and problem is I don't know any seniors in the school.

Just a quick thought if there is a new product launch it transfer from design center to manufacturing site. We have to establish SPC for the new product and how it is done maybe can look into this area. What do you think?

What about doing MSA (Measurement System Analysis) how it differs from textbook and realworld situation what do you think ?

Thanks alot for your suggestion.
Vivian

Top Bottom