"Licensed" copy of ISO 9001 Standard During Audit - Has an Auditor Asked for Proof?

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Hi all,

Reading the interesting thread on "should the standards be FREE", it prompted me to a question.

During audit, has anyone been encountered with a question from the auditor to show them a "licensed" copy of the related ISO standard or to show documented evidence that they bought the ISO standard ?

At least, I have not been faced with that question.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: "Licensed" copy of ISO standard during audit

As far as I know, there is no "shall" to have a copy of the Standard. Without the "shall" you could even tell Randy to "pack sand" if he were your auditor.:lmao:

J

jrubio

Hi all,

Reading the interesting thread on "should the standards be FREE", it prompted me to a question.

During audit, has anyone been encountered with a question from the auditor to show them a "licensed" copy of the related ISO standard or to show documented evidence that they bought the ISO standard ?

Yes , the Auditor asked for a copy of the Standard and we had a personal copy of the original which were placed in other Department, the copy did not have the mark of It is copy of a original and the Auditor stated that we did not have problem with him whether we had problems with the law. :bonk: :bonk:

G

Gert Sorensen

I have been faced with that question, when the auditor found a copy of one of the ISO-standards in our R&D department. We did however, have an original in QA so there were no more discussion relating to that. :cool:

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Hi all,

I have never run into that problem. I agree with Wes that:

Wes Bucey said:
As far as I know, there is no "shall" to have a copy of the Standard. Without the "shall" you could even tell Randy to "pack sand" if he were your auditor.
:thanx::lol: :notme:

R

RosieA

Yes, Ive been asked that by an auditor also. No finding resulted, but he did raise the legality question.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
So, if an auditee doesnot have the "licensed" copy of the ISO standard and in the absence of "shall", can the auditor give this as an "observation" ?

Randy

Super Moderator
I haven't found anywhere a requirement for a licensed or any other copy of 9001 unless it's listed as a system document of external origin. An effective QMS can be implemented and receive registration without the company ever once referencing or even using ISO 9001.

This really isn't one of the major things I concern myself over.

C

Craig H.

At our first audit we were asked for a copy. We did have a couple, but I asked what would have been the result if we did not have a "legal" copy, but one made on a copy machine. Their answer was that if there was no copy at all, how could we comply with the standard, and if we had one from a copy machine it would violate copyright laws. Either way, it would draw a nonconformance.

Since we complied, I did not bother with further discussion.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
That's a pretty interesting question.

My company has had the standard in the document system (such as it is) since the new rev came out. And our retention of records procedure states that non-raw-material PO's can be discarded after 5 years.
So we no longer have a record that we purchased it.

We followed our procedure! Shouldn't that count for something?

Top Bottom