Job Offer: Six Sigma Black Belt vs. SQE for one of Biggest Auto supplier

J

Jaco

Six Sigma Black Belt vs. SQE for one of Biggest Auto supplier

6S BB training chance&SQE job offer from one of Biggest Auto supplier which one would you choose??
I am not sure if some would be interested in my story took placed one month ago, which I struggle with it so long and could not get out from it still now. Here is the story if you like.
I have been worked in quality field for around 9 years, I am so glad to have about 6 years work experience in automotive industrial until I joined the company that I currently work for. I would like to say that I could not enjoy my work totally, even through I got a lot--- like salary, training chance, practical chance etc. Of course, I also contribute a lot. (9k/14k set up…… ). But when look ahead I would say my further/dream is to get into auto field. Fortunately/or unfortunately, I get a chance to join one of biggest Auto supplier as SQE. My boss persuaded me to stay and promise to give me chance for BB training, salary raise and promotion, when he got to know my resign. On the other hand, the HR from that company seems to be impatient a little bit for my question, because the salary they provided is not competitive comparing with my income and I have to move to another city for that job. Distinct feeling on two sides,
BB training VS SQE, Nameless company VS Fortune 500 company, favor from my current boss VS personnel career
It is a difficult decision for me but might be easier if:
The HR manager could be kind a little bit
My boss could give up to persuade
I could be unmoved
…………..

I would like to say I have made a stupid decision on impulse, because I finally did not take that job. Look backward, I think I lost a chance I will never get again. So I would like to know, what would you do if you are in the same situation. Really hope I could get some opinion on this situation.

Thanks
Jaco

R

ralphsulser

I don't know about the job market in Cina, but I would keep in mind future job security. Going with a Fortune 500 is nice, but they also have layoffs and cut backs, plus some times in bigger companies there is not a cohesive group of people. They are trying to out do each other for recognition and promotions. If you like where you live, your job and your boss, and have a chance to grow, why leave. If you are currently with a cohesive management team that is proactive, then stay where you are now. Do you have a family?
What are their thoughts?

J

Jaco

First of all, ralphsulser thanks for your response on this topic!!! :thanks:
ralphsulser said:
I don't know about the job market in Cina,
For the job market in China I think it now might be a seller's market, which means there are lots of job opportunity for application. But I do not know how long this situation will keep going.
ralphsulser said:
but I would keep in mind future job security.
For me,the most important fact in mind for my career is favorite/grow. Because it is hard to define the standard for job security. If we only consider job security, it would make me feel better to work for a bigger company. On the other hand, it is also hard to find the fully cohesive management team, as you said every body is trying to out do each other for recognition and promotions. I think none do not like that. To me, I just could say I have a good boss now.
For favorite of my career, getting back into auto industrial absolutely should be my only goal. And what I could learn in my current company is six sigma, but I notice that six sigma in auto industrial get very lower respect than in other side. And tools listed six sigma also are using in many ways, especially for people in work in auto industrial. Even though we do not give the name as 6s. In the other words, I am not sure if it is really a grow chance or not?
ralphsulser said:
Do you have a family?
What are their thoughts?

Of course, I do have a family and fortunately I could get more support from them than other person do. I heard most comment voice from them is, every thing is up to you and do not care what we think.

Anyway, thank to share your opinion. And you are the only one in the world, who could give me some thoughts besides my friends and family.

D

DDaenen1

Jaco, i work for a fortune500 company and i can tell you its not all sunshine and roses. Do bear in mind that these companies are in the spotlight and therefore, some management decisions just don't make sense to sensible people. Having said that, i would go for it if you want to build a career, just because of the fact that a fortune500 will give you a complete different view on the business and just working in that environment, will develop many of your skills. This is the way to go if you are looking for a career.

If you want job security and are not afraid of getting stuck in your company/working environment, stay with your current and take the offer.

On the other hand, i do not believe that 6 sigma is the future, especially not in automotive. I have seen more 6 sigma exercises go wrong than right. Our business is just not precise enough to apply 6 sigma. I think it will die a slow silent death (let the flaming begin :tg: )

R

ralphsulser

Jaco,
Based on your reasoning and future aspirations, I am going to assume you would like to make the change to the Fortune 500 company. I would suggest that you have what it takes to grow with that corporation, and the desire to do so. My opinion is then that you should go for it. Wish you all the best, and please let us know how it works out for you. :)

J

Jaco

Thanks for all of your responses

:thanks: It is very happy to end up this thread by having your two kind replies, especially from two veterans in quality. I could have nice weekend, as I can finally get out now.
Thanks again, ralphsulser and DDaenen1. I will try to talk to my boss, and see if the HR manager still remember me. :biglaugh:

bpritts

Involved - Posts
Jaco -- if you are still thinking about this, let me add another consideration. I am not sure whether this is true for Chinese firms, but it is typical of my experience in North America.

If the six sigma is properly implemented, an experienced black belt will be actively leading quality improvements, saving the company money and improving customer satisfaction. These are both gratifying for your own job satisfaction, and hopefully leading to further recognition by management.

Some supplier quality engineers are doing the same thing on their company's behalf at supplier locations.

Generally, though, It is difficult for the supplier quality engineer to achieve the same types of improvements.

Generally, the supplier quality engineer will spend a lot of time outside their expertise (because they must support many different suppliers) and may not be able to develop the specific skills and background to make major contributions.

I am sure that some of our colleagues here at the Cove are supplier quality engineers, and judging by the contributions I can tell that many of them are far better professionals than the "typical" SQE.

So all in all, I would think strongly about taking the opportunity to achieve direct quality improvements where you are right now. Six Sigma may provide you some additional tools and techniques, but don't wait... work with your management to achieve improvements here and now.

If they don't support you... then think about moving on to another situation.

Best regards,

Brad

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Jaco said:
6S BB training chance&SQE job offer from one of Biggest Auto supplier which one would you choose??
I am not sure if some would be interested in my story took placed one month ago, which I struggle with it so long and could not get out from it still now.
Back in 1999 I interveiwed with Coors. I was rejected because I was 'Too Liberal'. So - You never know...

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Marc said:
Back in 1999 I interveiwed with Coors. I was rejected because I was 'Too Liberal'. So - You never know...
Well, Gee, Marc, in some of your writing in the past, you'd be too liberal for the Hyannisport crew, so it's no big surprise that the rock-bound conservatives from Colorado would find you too liberal.

Attachments

• kennedys.jpeg
    kennedys.jpeg
    9.5 KB · Views: 258
Top Bottom