A way to verify 7075 T0 Aluminum has been successfully Heat Treated to T6

R

R. Webb

I need a way to verify 7075 T0 Aluminum has been successfully heat treated to T6. The heat treater we use says they can verify the process but not the result. I found the thread here and just want to confirm that a Rockwell "B" of 47 to 60 confirms a T6 hardness in aluminum. I have not been able to find a cross reference for this and am not a metalurgist.

6061-T6 Aluminum - Any reason Heat Treat can't hit Minimum of RB/50?

S

Sorin

What is the referenced standard for the material? What are your PO requirements? (example: HT 7075 T0 per ....etc.)

R

R. Webb

Thanks for responding. The specification is:

Heat Treat 7075-0 to 7075-T6 Per SAE-AMS-2770

S

Sorin

Thanks for responding. The specification is:

Heat Treat 7075-0 to 7075-T6 Per SAE-AMS-2770

AMS-2770 H

Para 4.3.1.3 Other Alloys or Other Tempers

Each lot of parts shall be hardness and conductivity tested. Testing shall be in accordance with 4.3.1.3.1 or 4.3.1.3.2

See those 2 paragraphs - specify on PO which one you want to apply (both request hardness testing).

Hardness results shall be as per AMS2658 (which I don't have).

Last edited by a moderator:
A

andygr

For 7075 T0

Rc B 22 max
Conductivity 44-48

At 47-60 it looks like you are high on hardness for this temper

For the T6 temper the hardness is 84 max for the anneal condition and min for everthing else

Last edited by a moderator:
R

R. Webb

Matweb is telling me that the conversion from the Brinell Hardness Value is 87 Rockwell B form 7075 T6 Aluminum. I am not sure what 84 max for the annealed condition means.

What I really need is a book or website that goes over the basics and includes this information. Don't get me wrong as I really appreciate your help but I am a novice with this material and need to get up to speed on it, at least for the verification aspects of it.

S

Sorin

Matweb is telling me that the conversion from the Brinell Hardness Value is 87 Rockwell B form 7075 T6 Aluminum. I am not sure what 84 max for the annealed condition means.

What I really need is a book or website that goes over the basics and includes this information. Don't get me wrong as I really appreciate your help but I am a novice with this material and need to get up to speed on it, at least for the verification aspects of it.

In that case, go after this:

http://www.techstreet.com/standards/asm/06182g?product_id=54586

Top Bottom