Identification of Special Characteristics - Cl 7.3.2.3 Interpretation

A

andrewg

My organisation has identified special characteristics in our FMEA documents and control plans. Do we gave to identify them in our work instructions also?

We are currently having a debate over the meaning of the text of 7.3.2.3 and I would appreciate your thoughts on this.:frust::bonk:

Thanks,

Andy

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: 7.3.2.3 Advice

My organisation has identified special characteristics in our FMEA documents and control plans. Do we gave to identify them in our work instructions also?

We are currently having a debate over the meaning of the text of 7.3.2.3 and I would appreciate your thoughts on this.:frust::bonk:

Thanks,

Andy

The text seems pretty clear to me:
The organization shall identify special characteristics [see 7..3.3 d] and...identify process control documents including drawings, FMEAs, control plans, and operator instructions with the customer's special characteristics symbol or the organization's equivalent symbol or notation to include those process steps that affect special characteristics.
Emphasis added.

What's the debate about?

A

andrewg

Re: Cl 7.3.2.3 Identification of Special Characteristics - Advice on Interpretation

Thanks,

You view is the same as mine. We were having some debate over the wording ' operator instructions'. To my mind this means work instructions, however not everyone in my organisation takes this view.

Thanks,:thanx:

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
Re: Cl 7.3.2.3 Identification of Special Characteristics - Advice on Interpretation

Also think of it from a practical perspective (not just meeting a requirement of the standard).

It is valuable for the quality of the product (and the company) and the competency of operators that operators (and technicians, engineer, managers) are aware of the special characteristics, as well as where and how we control them. Identifying them on the work instructions (or operator instructions or whatever we call them) makes sense.

R

restofe

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I am being asked to inquire how other companie handle "special" requirements. I can't say too much here, but I would like to ask if you can give me example of how your characteristics are identified on your control plans? Your help would be appreciated!

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

Thanks,

You view is the same as mine. We were having some debate over the wording ' operator instructions'. To my mind this means work instructions, however not everyone in my organisation takes this view.

Thanks,:thanx:

On a recent audit, we had a finding on this very topic. The client had very generic "operator instructions" at each cell, just discussing the steps in each process, and showing pictures. They also had very specific instructions embedded in each specific shop work order/router/job instruction.

The audit team and client agreed it would be appropriate to indicate the SC symbols in that specific shop instruction, but leave it off the very general instruction sheets. It would have no frame of reference pertaining to the SC.

Perhaps that approach could be useful to some of your situations as well.

Top Bottom