Cost of Internet connection in hotels

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
I was away all last week running a 5 day QMS LA course in a Holiday Inn in the UK. They offer an Internet connection paid for by the hour, day or business week (5 days) so I thought fine, I'll get the 5 day package - until I looked at the prices:

£6/hour
£15/day
£60/week:mg:

I just wondered what everyone else pays in various countries.

By the way, I got by with Bluetoothing to my mobile phone on which I have unlimited Internet access built into my deal - not too quick but good enough for email. :)

T

Ted Schmitt

When travelling in China, all the hotels I stayed at had FREE and unlimited internet access.... here in Brazil, the hotel´s I ´ve stayed at where also free....

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
Colin

Just think what it is like for an Aberdonian having to spend money like this! Having said that, I have found a few hotels in London which don't charge.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Peter, I can see the tears from here! Yes, I have stayed in a few hotels where it is free but they tend to be the smaller ones in my experience.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I recently vacationed in Hawaii (3 of the islands - one week each)

1. The most expensive resort (Turtle Bay) on the north shore of Oahu had free WIFI throughout the buildings, lanais, pool area, but no signal was available on the beach or either of the two world-class golf courses. Each room or suite also had at least one ethernet cable outlet and free cable loan from the management. Finally, there was an "office center" (accessible 24/7 via key card) with three internet-connected computers loaded wth MS Office, Adobe, etc. networked to a black ink laser printer with a variety of sizes of paper (USA 8-/2 X 11, Europe A4, etc.) - all free plus free incoming fax.
  2. In glitter gulch (Kona on the Big Island - kind of like the Dells in Wisconsin), The Royal Kona had WIFI available for $13.95 per calendar day - if you used it from 11:59 pm to 12:01 am (a total of two minutes), your credit card would be dinged $27.90!
  3. On Kauai, we stayed in a secluded Condo resort (Hanalai Colony) where free WIFI was only accessible inside the restaurant/lounge/coffee shop with a special room with two free internet-connected computers and printers also available, but guests had to have a key card to enter the computer room. Building and computers and thus WIFI were only accessible between 9:00 am and 10:00 pm - the restaurant operating hours.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I haven't been traveling for a few months, but I have been reading that 'many' hotels are starting to charge for internet access as a way to increase revenue.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I haven't been traveling for a few months, but I have been reading that 'many' hotels are starting to charge for internet access as a way to increase revenue.

I stay at the Hampton Inn wherever I can. No charge for internet.

Stijloor.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
I stay at the Hampton Inn wherever I can. No charge for internet.

Stijloor.

Let's see if I remember this right...

Hampton Inn - FREE
Hilton Garden Inn - FREE
Hilton - PAY
Doubletree - PAY
Embassy Suites - PAY (except that it's part of our corporate agreement is free for folks from my company)

I've also stayed at hotels where if you connect via cable, it's free and you pay if you use their WIFI.

This almost makes Boingo a worthwhile business expense! And many of the airports I fly through have a Boingo WIFI established. Tampa Airport still has a free WIFI signal if memory serves.

When the boss or accounting has questioned some of the WIFI charges, I've explained it like, "I've been in assessments all day. When would you like me to do the report exactly? Especially as Bossman had the rental car and he was my ride to/from the plant. The aircard service has been terminated for all employees so how would like me to get work done while I'm sitting in an airport for 4 hours waiting for a connection? Would you rather I simply not work? Be thankful I don't charge you for my monthly internet access from home...yet..."

Ah, Roxane's on a short-leash this week... :notme:

Top Bottom