Certified Lead Auditor Requirements

R

rwesttx

I am looking for some clarification on the Lead Auditor requirements. I am the management rep. for a midsized fabrication service company. I have successfully completed the training while the standard was at 9001:2000. My question is do I have to receive any additional training or certification for the new standard?

If there is another thread I should be looking at please point me in the right direction. My search attempts didn't yield anything.

Thanks,

R West

Randy

Super Moderator
You can't get certified as a Lead Auditor unless you actually Lead audits, and more often than not the audits have to be in a 3rd party status. Competency has to be demonstrated and attending a course along with passing a test doesn't do it alone.

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
You can't get certified as a Lead Auditor unless you actually Lead audits, and more often than not the audits have to be in a 3rd party status. Competency has to be demonstrated and attending a course along with passing a test doesn't do it alone.

I understand this, Randy, I really do...But what I wonder is why do companies that are looking for internal auditors (lead or otherwise) often state in their job requirements/descriptions that the candidate have Lead Auditor certification? I have to gather that it is because the companies have a lack of understanding as to what is really required to achieve that Lead Auditor certification. Or perhaps they are looking for over-qualified candidates...?

Last edited:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I understand this, Randy, I really do...But what I wonder is why do companies that are looking for internal auditors (lead or otherwise) often state in their job requirements/descriptions that the candidate have Lead Auditor certification? I have to gather that it is because the companies have a lack of understanding as to what it is really required to achieve that Lead Auditor certification. Or perhaps they are looking for over-qualified candidates...?

Gidget,

In my experience, companies that refer to "Certified Lead Auditor" in their ads, are in reality not looking for a certified 3rd Party Lead Auditor. They need someone who has attended and successfully completed a Lead Auditor course. They are looking for someone who can manage their internal audit program. Many folks who attend these LA courses, do not intend to become 3rd Party auditors.

Stijloor.

AndyN

Moved On
I've found that the term 'certified' often means they have a certification of completion from the course, not that it equates to RABQSA certification, which is what Randy is speaking of.

Let's face it, apart from a few of us, who ever heard of RABQSA (or IRCA for that matter) except for CB's (who aren't even required to have their auditors go this route).

RABQSA launched a programme of certifying all manner of auditors, internal, external etc. at one time, but it didn't get any real 'legs' - the fees were pretty frightening!

G

George Costanza

Do you agree that ISO does not require a company to have a "Certified" lead auditor for their internal audit program? And that one only needs "lead auditor training" such to facilitate and train the internal auditing personnel?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Do you agree that ISO does not require a company to have a "Certified" lead auditor for their internal audit program? And that one only needs "lead auditor training" such to facilitate and train the internal auditing personnel?

You need a competent person to manage the audit program.

Stijloor.

AndyN

Moved On

George - agreed that ISO doens't require such. In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest that even the lead auditor course is the not the correct training to run an effective internal audit program, since it is (often) based on external audit methods!

This is one area of training/competency which has been completely over- looked by the RABQSA and IRCA in their accreditation of courses. There may be trainers who have such a course, but they are few and far between. Even ASQ doesn't make an entirely effective job in their CQA or CQM qualification

Randy

Super Moderator
Most employers wanting "certified" Lead Auditors know less about what they are asking for than my pet cats knows about quantum physics...All they are doing is playing a form of buzz word bingo with their hiring. I'm a ceritified Lead Auditor under 3 seperate MS schemes as are many others here in the Cove and some of our members have even more "certifications" than that.

If the time were to come that they actually had a truly functional, competent and "certified" lead auditor answer the call, the employers shorts would probably split open and their fanny would slam the ground when they were told the cost of acquiring and keeping that person. We're not talking lunch money here, we're talking a number that has 3 digits on the left side of the comma and niether one the 1st 2 digits is a zero. Just passing an open book, 2-hour exam does not make it so:nope:

Top Bottom