Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC
Forum Username

Wooden Line

How to Calculate UCL (Upper Control Limit) & LCL (Lower Control Limit) & CL

Wooden Line
Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
business plans, control charts (general), control limits, data analysis, data control, data distributions, statistical analysis and studies, tensile strength and tensile strength testing

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12th October 2006, 11:06 AM
maxfusion

Let Me Help You How to Calculate UCL (Upper Control Limit) & LCL (Lower Control Limit) & CL

Hi all

how do i calculate the UCL,LCL & CL for the below data. it has a total of 30 datas and i need to find out also the formula for UCL,LCL & CL as i need to use excel to do the calculations. PLS HELP ME!!!

Tensile strength

Sponsored Links
Old 12th October 2006, 12:31 PM
Bev D

Re: How to Calculate UCL (Upper Control Limit) & LCL (Lower Control Limit) & CL?

calculate the moving range between each value: MR1 = the absolute absolute value of the second value - first value. MR2 = the absolute absolute value of the third value - second value and so on. you will have 29 of these values.
then calculate the average of these 29 values. this is the average moving range, MR Bar

The CL = is the average of the 30 readings.
LCL = average - 2.66*MRbar
UCL = average + 2.66*MRbar

this will ONLY work if the tensile values are in order of PRODUCTION of hte parts. if you dont' know the order of production and you only know the order of the tensile measurements you cannot do the control chart. teh dat must in production time sequence.

But I have to add that I am concerned (no offense intended) that this is a very basic question that can be readily answered by a simpel google search or any SPC book that is lying around. You provide very little background as to the nature of the problem. You seem to have almost no knowledge of SPC and I wonder why you are tasked - feel tasked - to do this on your own (my assumption since you're here)?
Thanks to Bev D for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 12th October 2006, 02:33 PM
preetham - 2007

Image or Photo Re: How to Calculate UCL (Upper Control Limit) & LCL (Lower Control Limit) & CL?

I would like put some comment on this,

Just calculating the UCL & LCL will not tell you that the process is capable of producing the parts per customer requirement.

The UCL,LCL & CL only tells you that the readings you have got are in statistically under control or Not,you have to calculate the Process capability & index then only you will find out that the obtained values are good enough to satisfy the customer specification.CP & CPk value tells that the process is capable of producing the parts per the customer specification .
Old 12th October 2006, 03:29 PM
Bev D

Re: How to Calculate UCL (Upper Control Limit) & LCL (Lower Control Limit) & CL?

of course the LCL and UCL do not provide an assessment fo capability. But, the OP had a very limited and specific question. I answered that question but only after thinking about it for awhile as the OP had obviously not researched the quesiton on their own and provided so little information on his issue that any answer we could give would be highly likely to be mis-used.
Old 13th October 2006, 12:41 PM
maxfusion

my apologies if mine question is not through enough.

i actually want to draw a x-bar control chart using the data that i have
but i just do not know the formula and what should i use for the variables

i would like to know if it is possible to draw a x bar control chart for individual measurement as all 30 datas are individual

Last edited by maxfusion; 13th October 2006 at 12:59 PM.
Old 13th October 2006, 01:51 PM
Bev D

The formulas I described in my original response ARE the formulas you are looking for.
Old 14th October 2006, 01:04 AM
maxfusion

How does 2.66 comes about beacuse in some books they were using d2 as 1.128 under Chart for RANGES. does your 2.66 A3 comes under chart for AVERAGE. please enlighten me.
Thanks
Old 8th January 2007, 05:08 PM
Marc

Question Re: How to Calculate UCL (Upper Control Limit) & LCL (Lower Control Limit) & CL?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by maxfusion View Post

How does 2.66 comes about because in some books they were using d2 as 1.128 under Chart for RANGES. does your 2.66 A3 comes under chart for AVERAGE. please enlighten me.
Thanks
Can anyone answer this?

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?