APQP Project Management in Excel - Many projects

J

jovoga

Hello friends,

I use APQP excel sheet for APQP management.
Basic structure of excel spreadsheet is
a) Task Needed/task not needed (if I choose "task not needed", fields - Start date, Planned date, Finished date, Responsible person have value N.A.)
Task
b) Start date
c) Planned date
d) Finished date
e) Responsible person

Important rule: 1 file is for 1 APQP project (yearly 30-40 projects)

My problem is, that manage of each file is very hard and take a long time (i must open each file , check status, send reminder to responsible persons etc...).
Also also for responsible persons is this system not user friendly.

Do you have idea how to manage many projects in Excel without issue as I described above?

Please post your experiences.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hello friends,

a) Task Needed/task not needed (if I choose "task not needed", fields - Start date, Planned date, Finished date, Responsible person have value N.A.)
Task
b) Start date
c) Planned date
d) Finished date
e) Responsible person

My problem is, that manage of each file is very hard and take a long time (i must open each file , check status, send reminder to responsible persons etc...).

Do you have idea how to manage many projects in Excel without issue as I described above?

Evaluate the chance to create an ad hoc system in house or use some commercial software dedicated to the project mgmt. For istance , there is also MS Project,but in the market there is a variety of this software tools.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hello friends,

Task
b) Start date
c) Planned date
d) Finished date
e) Responsible person

I also think that Gantt charts usage could be useful for your purpose as well.

M

Murphys Law

We've migrated our APQPs to sharepoint. Each Project, has it's own child sharepoint with standard deliverables for each phased checkpoints.

Depending on complexity, MS Project is used for task management of complex projects. Excel for less projects.

We also interface with a WW design team in India, and they use a Wiki for lower level tracking of design related issues. The wiki has some tools within it to remind people of tasks/keep running lists of open items. Sharepoint can also do this but you need some skills to design that. We see no reason to change a system that seems to work.

E

erphome01

There is a very good solution for APQP projects management --
SAP cProject / Folder business suit.

M

marialewis520

Friend i have experience of using Microsoft project management system for my projects it is easier to understand it's program and can handled 50 projects of mine at the same time, Rather excel i have use it not so much but i suggest you to order your projects Alphabetical wise along with insert comment option and put project head name in comment option it might help you.....?

T

tomvehoski

I would look at moving to MS Project - you have enough data to make it worthwhile. You can still make each project its own file, but you can then roll all of those up into a master project plan.

SharePoint is also a great tool for the team to manage projects. I've used it quite well in the past, and impatiently waiting for our major IT system update to be completed which will include it. The ability to store documents and manage their revisions was one of the best features. I'm not sure how well it would be able to roll up project timelines across multiple child sites, but have also not used it in a few years now.

barbaral

Registered
This can not be done effectively. I have tried it myself. Recently I have investigated open source Project Management software that will allow you to import of your existing work sheets. MS project is very complicated compared to many of these programs. From this software, you will be able to easily view all of your projects. There are many to choose from that you but each has different capability.

Top Bottom