Electronic Training Record Form (Template)

R

reaganmom

Ok....so I give up!:mad:

I've been searching and searching for the answer and have yet to find it, anywhere. So hopefully someone here can provide me with some assistance.

I currently have all of our training record forms in paper format. I created a template in Microsoft Word, and just print that and fill out the training record for each individual employee.

What I wanted to do was to switch this to an electronic form in Excel, so that the managers could fill out the employee forms right when the training was being done.

The first issue I ran into was the idea that the managers could add to the employee record, changing the actual form to be different from the main template.

The second (and admittedly more frustrating) issue is that if I were to make a revision to the main form, I'd like all the employee records derived from that form to also reflect the change and new revision without me having to go into each record and make the change.

Hopefully this makes sense to someone. I was told to use Microsoft Access, but I can't seem to make heads or tails of it! :bonk:

Thank you Thank you Thank you!
Susan

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Re: Electronic Training Record Form wanted

reaganmom said:
The first issue I ran into was the idea that the managers could add to the employee record, changing the actual form to be different from the main template.

There is a way - but I don't know how - to 'lock' the cells of a template rendering the form unchangeable by the managers. You can also set it up so that they can only enter information into selected cells. This may require advanced Excel training on your part, however.

reaganmom said:
The second (and admittedly more frustrating) issue is that if I were to make a revision to the main form, I'd like all the employee records derived from that form to also reflect the change and new revision without me having to go into each record and make the change.

Hopefully this makes sense to someone. I was told to use Microsoft Access, but I can't seem to make heads or tails of it! :bonk:

Which form are you talking about here? The training form that becomes a record or a form that you training people on? I'm confused.

If the former, why would you change the employee record to show the old info on the new version?

If the latter, sadly, I'm not proficient enough with Access to assist.

R

reaganmom

For the second issue -let me give an example, maybe that will make it less confusing. A new machine is installed, and therefore I update the main training record form to include training on this new machine. I was wondering if there is anyway to make a change to the main form, and it automatically makes the change to the employee forms.

Hopefully this helps!

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator

It sounds like you want to create a behind-the-scene training matrix that would list all documents/processes/required training along one "axis" and all employees along the other. When a new document/process/training need is identified, part of the process would be to then indicate which employees need training on that item.

And you're looking for a way to essentially say "IF" selected "THEN" put on training record, right?

I'm sure there's a way to do that, but I've only seen it done via software packages (e.g., document control software).

CalRich

Involved In Discussions

For the second issue -let me give an example, maybe that will make it less confusing. A new machine is installed, and therefore I update the main training record form to include training on this new machine. I was wondering if there is anyway to make a change to the main form, and it automatically makes the change to the employee forms.

Hopefully this helps!
Susan,

I myself was looking for good examples of training recordkeeping as I need to 'massage' our current training program.

Could you not make one sheet in Excel that is the 'master' then have the training item names link from that one sheet? Protect the one master sheet from editing for control.

I am attaching an example that I quickly threw together. I added an IF statement so that blank entries on the master list do not show up as "0".

I realize now that your inquiry is from 2011... but I would be interested to hear if you ended with a good solution!
Happy Holidays!

Attachments

• training_excel.xlsx
    11.7 KB · Views: 897

Crusader

Trusted Information Resource
I think I get it. I have a couple of Excel docs that do what you describe. Lemme see if I can revise to be less specific to my needs and I will post when ready.

You can have 1 doc file with a master sheet as mentioned above with other sheets linked.
Also, you can have a master doc file that is linked to another file, which will update if the cells are referenced properly.

And if you are going to allow additional training areas to be input by users, then you will need to make allowances for that too without upsetting the specific cell references to the master sheet.

I could have just said yeah, it is possible!

Last edited:

Crusader

Trusted Information Resource
Ok....so I give up!:mad:

I've been searching and searching for the answer and have yet to find it, anywhere. So hopefully someone here can provide me with some assistance.

What I wanted to do was to switch this to an electronic form in Excel, so that the managers could fill out the employee forms right when the training was being done.

Thank you Thank you Thank you!
Susan

BIG HMMMMM.......I cannot edit my post above and it's only been 2 days!!!!!!!! I guess some things have changed in the Cove since I have been absent.

I created 2 forms that I think you can use as an example to create your own training forms. Note: this is not what is used where I work. I just now created this from scratch on my vacation time at home!!!! ;)

The "MSTR-Train-Form" contains all of the stuff that will automatically load into a new training form.

The "Train-Form" references the cells from the "MSTR-Train-Form" with the "constant" data that you want to see in every individual training form. Plus it has room for adding specific data that may not be on the MSTR-Train-Form. AND, the cells that are constant are now locked so no one can change those fields. :agree1:

The key to these 2 files is that the "Train-Form" must be "copied" and "saved-as" for each new individual training record. Otherwise the links that connect back to the "MSTR-Train-Form" will not work. So, in a sense, the "Train-Form" is kinda like another master that you must copy and save-as to make all new individual forms.

Note: I have entered data as an example only.

oh yeah, the red text in the "Train-Form" is what the user would enter on the form for each person.

Is this cool or what? :agree1:

Attachments

• Cove-MSTR-Train-Form.xlsx
    13.5 KB · Views: 435
  • Cove-Train-Form.xlsx
    15.4 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Top Bottom