My boss wants me to investigate Mini Tab 15 or 16 - Help!

J

josephs6801

I have lurked for a long time now I actually have a question. New job, new boss, I like them both. He needs me to investigate Mini Tab (15 or 16). Any ideas?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Put together a list of "Must Have" and "Desired" features. "Must Haves" features are pass/fail, and "Desired" features are weighted by how badly desired. Then score the SW package (i.e, Minitab or other) against the features.

If you have "specific" questions about Minitab 16, I can answer those, but please be specific.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Put together a list of "Must Have" and "Desired" features. "Must Haves" features are pass/fail, and "Desired" features are weighted by how badly desired. Then score the SW package (i.e, Minitab or other) against the features.

I agree, sometimes Minitab is too big of a toolbox for what you need to do, which also makes it more cumbersome. For example, if you want to do distribution fitting, Distribution Analyzer at variation.com is far easier to use than Minitab. It just depends...

M

MikeLQSR

If you do not mind putting in some leg work, Excel can do many of the functions (granted you are familiar or have access to a six sigma / statistics book) as well as much of the charting that you may require. The downside however if that you have to be very accurate and precise with calcuations and often double check your work.

Additionally if you go the Excel route it is essentially free (besides the corporate licensing - as it comes standard on most company laptops) -you and your boss can use the license fee for Minitab as a savings for the year :)

I do use Minitab, but quite honestly I find myself going to Excel far more often than Minitab.

C

Curtis317

Much really depends on what you will be using it for and how much time you have for analysis. With Minitab you can do "What if's" As in for a GRR remove one of the 3 operators and redo the analysis to see if that one operator really has a major affect on the results. There are other "what if's" you can do. If you need to outline what Minitab can do go to mintab.com. However the current version of Minitab is 17. It of course is not a cheap bit of software but it is very powerful and great tool. Yes you might be able to use excel but it would be much easier and faster to use Minitab.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Minitab has one feature that I find extremely useful - the Capability 6-Pak. I use it for that, if for nothing else.

Yes, it is a very powerful software package, and you can do (almost) everything it can do with Excel (if you know how to program). But the general ease of using it, the online support, and the acceptability factor in automotive make it a fairly good addition to your software suite.

S

Sean Kelley

MiniTab at one time offered a 30 day free trial that would be worth trying it out.

I find we do not use it everyday but when we do it is well worth the price. It saves alot of time, provides great information and is quite userfriendly once you use it a little while. At first there is so much in it that you have to learn what you need. It would be nice if they pack in the basics that 90% of the users use most often to make navigating a bit easier. Once you learn what you need though it is quite easy. It also has a type of tutorial that will ask questions to help guide you to what you want.

A

antonjav

I agree. if you are a power user, you are gonna be a minitab diehard!

Top Bottom