Checking a male taper using a female air gage fixture - Air Gaging question

M

MACIEKM

Hello
I’m having difficulty convincing my coworkers and my superiors with a following air gauge problem or discrepancy.
Lest assume that I am checking a male taper using a female air gage fixture. My gage point diameter is coming of the face of the cone (see attached sketch). Now let’s assume that my end stop on the air gage fixture is worn out. How will this affect the diameter and at the gage point location?

Attachments

• Drawing.bmp
    846.6 KB · Views: 229
P

prototyper

Re: Air gaging question

Hello
I’m having difficulty convincing my coworkers and my superiors with a following air gauge problem or discrepancy.
Lest assume that I am checking a male taper using a female air gage fixture. My gage point diameter is coming of the face of the cone (see attached sketch). Now let’s assume that my end stop on the air gage fixture is worn out. How will this affect the diameter and at the gage point location?

If your part enters the gauge further, you are not measuring the same part of the taper and you would get a larger value.
How much larger depends on the amount of wear on the stop and the taper angle.

P

prototyper

Do you have a setting piece which autocalibrates the gauge?

M

MACIEKM

Yes i do have the tapered setting plug to zero out the air gauge unit.
Now the part that is beeing chcecked touches only about 10% outside of the base stop (it has a diameter inside) and you can tell that there is a step on the base stop due to wear or overuse. Now on the other hand the tapered setting master plug is a solid piece, and will not take into cosideration worn out part of the air gage base stop (10% of the outside surface/diameter).In my opininon this condition will give me a false reading on the part even though the gage is zeroed out to the tapered master setting plug. Please correct me if im worng here.

P

prototyper

If the master does not locate in the same way as parts being measured then there will be discrepencies in the measurement.
The only way to evaluate the difference would be to accurately measure a part by some other means, calibrate the gauge with the master, then remeasure the part in the gauge.
I am assuming that your tolerances are tight on this part so the other measurement method chosen would need to be very accurate or you will confuse the issue further.

M

MACIEKM

Yes that was exactly what i was asking for. Thank You for your help.

Top Bottom